In the years since the invention, Nespresso System has taken the coffee world away by the storm. If you are seeking one for yourself, you are probably trying to find a convenient and affordable espresso machine that has less clutter of controls, takes less space, brewing process is fast and easy, and most importantly gives a consistent cup of espresso every time without any experience.
In this article, we will take you to the most desirable Nespresso machines along with the important briefing about each. You can pick anyone that fulfills your real requirements as each machine listed here is top-notch in its own way.
Glance On Our Favorite Nespresso Machines
Nespresso is an independent operating unit of Nestle group based in Laussane, Switzerland. Jean-Marc Duvoisin is the present CEO from 1st Mar 2013. It is one of the ten multinational companies that control an amazing number of consumer brands.
The brand is known for its quality machines that are trusted all over and are spread in almost all regions of the world. These are quick, make a minimal mess, and are also not heavy on pockets. A typical Nespresso coffee machine can cost around $100 and can go as high as $700. The machines by the brand typically have no fuzz of so many controls and are mostly automatic.
With Nespresso, one doesn’t need any prior experience of brewing coffee as it serves an amazing cup of drink with just a press of a button. The variety of coffee capsules is a huge plus here.
Original vs Vertuo
Nespresso is sub-divided into 2 major categories – Original and Vertuo.
- Original – Simply brews only Espresso via pump pressure mechanism.
- Vertuo – Uses Centrifusion (coffee capsule spinning at around 7000 rotations per minute) technology and brews both Espresso as well as Regular Coffee.
Original-line is mostly preferred due to the large variety of flavors and the feasible ongoing costs of capsules. The capsules that an Original line machine uses are fairly cheaper than the Vertuo. Also, these easily work with third-party compatible capsules (capsules from other brands) which are much more affordable.
The Vertuo machines on the other hand have minimal controls and the brewing process goes according to the barcode printed on the capsule to apply the brewing parameters. These barcodes are patented by Nespresso and the process is much typical, so no third-party capsules are available.
With an innovative ‘Centrifusion technology’, Nespresso VertuoLine coffee machines brew more delicious espresso than the Original line. Though there is a limited variety of capsules, the available ones are very perfect.
Now, let’s take a deep dive into the top machines by the brand.
Best Nespresso Machines – Our Favorite Picks
1. Essenza Mini Original
- SIZE: Discover the newest and smallest ever single serve...
- PERFORMANCE: Create a barista-style coffee or espresso...
- EFFICIENT COFFEE MACHINE: In just one touch, the water...
- VERSATILITY: Adjustable cup size with two programmable...
Essenza Mini is an entry-level capsule machine that is picked well by many capsule coffee lovers. The machine has a compact design with a modern look that can amazingly complement any kitchen cabinets with its range of colors. The machine delivers up to 19 bars of pressure adequate for brewing quality rich espresso.
- Dimensions: 4.3 x 12.8 x 8.1 inches
- Weight: 5.1 lbs
- Minimalist design
- Two dedicated buttons for coffee sizes – Lungo and Espresso
- Pre-heat time: 25 seconds
- 19 bars of pressure pump
- Low energy consumption after 3 minutes of inactivity
- Auto shut off after 9 minutes of the ideal time
- Removable Water Tank – 20.3 Oz
- Can keep up to 5-6 used capsules
- Complimentary 16 capsule pack
The working of Essenza is quite simple. Just with the dedicated buttons for Lungo or espresso, you get your favorite shot of espresso in no time. it requires no hard work until you spill the coffee. There is no fuzz of extra settings to waste your precious time. The body of the Essenza is easy to clean with just a soft damp cloth.
Most of the Nespresso machines come with a complimentary pack of 16 capsules to start right away, and this one too is not at the odds.
Since you are starting your capsule journey (we just guessed), we suggest getting something to keep your coffee pods arranged in a way, or else you might end up in a mess. We have an article about the Nespresso pod holders that lists the most beautiful and easy-to-use capsule carousels or drawers.
Note: Recently, the Inissia by the brand has been discontinued as Pixie and Essenza fall almost in the same bracket with the same set of features.
- POWERFUL: Nespresso Pixie espresso maker has a 19 bar...
- EFFICIENT AND ENERGY SAVING ESPRESSO MAKER: System heats-up...
- EASE OF USE: The Pixie is a programmable espresso maker with...
- SMART ESPRESSO MAKER: The red blacklights light up to let...
Another piece of perfection is the Pixie. A compact machine that is very much similar to Essenza. The machine is again compact but adds some Smart functionalities like low water level warnings. It also has bigger storage to keep 11 used capsules.
The Pixie couldn’t be simpler to use. Much like Essenza, it also has just two buttons apart from the power button – espresso and a lungo. Both of these cup-size come pre-programmed but can be customized just by holding down the button until the desired amount of coffee has been brewed.
- Dimensions: 4.4 x 12.8 x 9.3 in
- Weight: 6.04 lbs
- Preheat time: 25 seconds
- Water reservoir of 24 oz with empty indicator
- Available with or without Aeroccino Milk Frother
- Programmable cup sizes
- Dedicated buttons for Espresso and Lungo
- 19 bar of pressure pump
- Folding tray
- Used capsule capacity: 11
- Auto shut off after 9 minutes of inactivity
- Warranty: 1 Year
A little larger than the Essenza, Pixie is also small in size for a small kitchen or coffee corner at your workplace. With its industrial metallic exterior, it also adds a touch of class to your kitchen counters. It simply brews consistent espresso exceptionally well in a minimal brewing time.
Pixie is made up of a few metals along with some plastic parts making it somewhat durable than that Essenza.
Our personal choice is this machine because it is manufactured in Switzerland and that place is known for perfection in things and so better built quality.
3. CitiZ & Milk
- High performance: The 19 bar pump system offers...
- Speed and Energy saving: the fast heat-up system reaches the...
- Versatility: Adjustable cup size with two programmable...
- Design: citiz's look continues to Please both Espresso...
The next on the hierarchy is the Citiz by Nespresso. It has a slim profile and is the first choice for people living in urban apartments looking for a stylish machine. The machine boasts a retro design and is loved by people looking for classic things. It does come with 2 programmable buttons as in most machines by the brand. The major change is the water reservoir capacity, it’s larger and holds up to 34 oz.
- Dimensions: 8.61 x 14.6 x 10.9 in
- Weight: 8.92 lbs
- Preheat time: 25 seconds
- Automatic flow stop
- Programmable cup sizes
- Aeroccino milk frother included
- Water tank empty indicator
- 19 bar high-pressure pump
- Folding tray
- Used capsule capacity: 9-11
- Auto shut off after 9 minutes of inactivity
- Warranty: 1 Year
With just 2 presses of buttons, you will be presented with a great cup of latte in your cup. You can make an endless number of milk-based drinks in just minutes of hassle-free effort.
Nespresso Essenza Mini, Pixie, and CitiZ are all entry-level machines into which you simply insert a pod and get an espresso or a Lungo. Now we will talk about some advanced machines that come with smart frothing systems to give barista-style drinks at home.
You might like: Best Nespresso Pods [Original Line]
4. Creatista Plus by Breville
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MACHINE: The Nespresso...
- BARISTA GRADE: Brew different single serve coffee and...
- SMART COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MAKER: Brew a perfect single serve...
- Automatic built-in milk frother helps you create your...
Nespresso machines have long been in the coffee industry focusing on convenience and simplicity in coffee making. The shot of espresso is always consistent due to the fix process of brewing.
Breville on the other hand has been exceptionally great in the research and development of a few of the best home espresso machines that are loved by barista masses. To keep things flowing well, they do visit large cafes regularly to meet the always new demands of baristas as well as their customers.
Due to the lack of a proper frothing system, machines by Nespresso in the past have been a little weaker in producing creamy cappuccinos or latte macchiato. To cope with this, the brand added an external Aerocinno frother that helped a little but not to the extent. The froth was good but the texture was not up to mark.
A few years back, Breville launched an espresso machine called Oracle. It was equipped with one of the most advanced self-frothing steam wands capable of producing excellent textured milk needed for latte art. This innovation caught the attention of Nespresso. As both the brands were already working together for many of the previous machines, they blended the technology of capsule machine with the steaming wand of Oracle resulting in the Creatista as we see.
- Dimensions: 6.7” x 16.1” x 12.2”
- 5 L water tank
- Advanced Frothing wand
- 10 Capsule holding capacity
- Quick heat-up time of 3 seconds
- 19 bars of pressure pump
- Pop-out shelf for smaller cups, fold it for larger cups
- Assisted cleaning system
- Cool to touch steam wand
- Auto purge function when you are done steaming
- Adjustable milk temperature texture for flat white
- Barista jug is included
- 2-year warranty
Creatista is among the most innovative Nespresso models that have both – the simplicity of pod brewing and; excellent milk frothing wand that can deliver great latte and cappuccino. The result is specialty drinks via Nespresso, that are closer to those we brew with traditional espresso machines.
If you can stretch your budget for this machine, it will not let you down. You would then drink perfectly-tasting lattes and cappuccinos at the convenience of your home.
5. De’Longhi Lattissima Touch
- The perfect creamy latte: one button and one capsule -...
- 6 one-touch recipes: simple one-touch button for Coffee and...
- Made in Italy: the lattissima touch's sleek Italian...
- Advanced milk frother by de'longhi: an automatic frother...
Just one press of a button and a capsule to enjoy a Latte. This machine brings a class of innovation to your home. Keep it at a visible location so that you can flaunt of a little.
The top of the machine has 6 dedicated recipe buttons for easy operation. It has an automatic milk frother that delivers excellent results. The machine is made in Italy, a place known for beautiful craftsmanship.
- Dimensions: 6.8 x 12.6 x 10.15 in
- Weight: 9.9 lbs
- Easy cleanup
- 6 dedicated brewing options – Creamy Lattes, Latte Macchiatos, Cappuccinos, Warm Milk, perfect Espresso and Coffee
- Milk froth regulator
- Easy to clean body texture
- 19 bar pressure
- 40 seconds rapid heat-up time for milk-based drinks
- Removable milk container
- Descaling alert
- Sliding tray to accommodate various cup sizes
Touch is the new edition to the family of Lattissima and is doing exceptionally well for many buyers. The reason behind its success is the host of features combined with easy functionality to make milk-based drinks. If you are a latte lover, this can be your next favorite companion. Though it takes a little more space but is worth it if you can accommodate.
It’s also a great option if you have a small coffee shop at the corner of the society as it brews espresso as well as common milk-based specialty drinks.
6. Lattissima One
- Innovative one-touch single-serve Latte & Cappuccino system
- Brew espresso, cappuccino, latte in one touch
- Ready to brew in just 25 seconds for espresso and 40 seconds...
- 19 bar high-performance pump
Much similar to the Lattissima Touch, this one can be called a smaller counterpart. It’s a little squeezed form of Touch that can fit the tiny kitchens.
Though the size seems small, the functions are not. The machine prepares espresso in merely 25 seconds and you can prepare a delicious latte in just 40 seconds, faster than most cafes can.
With just 3 buttons, the whole system can be controlled. Two buttons are dedicated to the size of the beverage, Espresso, and Lungo; whereas the third button controls the frothing system. Moreover, the milk container is detachable and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- Dimensions – 6.1 in x 12.8 in x 10.1 in
- Weighs – 9.24 pounds
- 19 bar pressure
- 33.8oz removable water tank
- Uses Original line capsules
- Dedicated buttons for Espresso and Lungo
- One-touch button for milk frothing
- Detachable and dishwasher safe 4.2oz milk container
- Takes 25 seconds to make espresso
- Takes 40 seconds for a latte
- 8 Used capsule storage
- Sliding tray
- Auto shut off after 2 minutes of inactivity
- Descaling indicator
The machine is among the new era of the Nespresso with built-in frothing systems so that you don’t have to maintain both separately. You get a complete capsule package that gives a more comfortable experience.
The premium touches along with chrome accent modernize the overall design and look that can add beauty wherever it is placed. If you are looking for a compact new-gen capsule machine and have a little more budget than the basic ones, go for this and you will be surprised with its ease of use and classy killing looks.
7. De’Longhi Lattissima Pro
- It's all about the foam: The De’Longhi Automatic...
- Nespresso capsule system: The ultimate convenience. The...
- Brings out more flavor: De’Longhi’s patented espresso...
- The perfect amount of milk: During the extraction process,...
With a more advanced interface and more functionality, this De’Longhi espresso machine comes next in line. Lattissima Pro boasts a sensor touch display and has 6 pre-programmed options– ristretto, espresso, lungo, cappuccino, latte, milk, and also hot water output for anything like tea or soup. The volume of coffee and milk is programmable. The auto cleaning milk carafe adds convenience and is easy to use.
- Dimensions: 7.6 x 10.79 x 13 in
- Weight: 12.6 lbs
- Sensor touch display system
- Automatic flow stop
- Choice of pre-programmed drinks ristretto, espresso, lungo, cappuccino, latte, hot-milk, and hot water function for tea
- Auto-cleaning milk container
- 16 used capsule container
- 43.96 oz water tank
- 17 oz milk container with froth settings knob
- Ready to use in 40 seconds
- Sliding drip-tray to accommodate taller cups
- Adjustable automatic shut-off timer
- Illuminated control panel
- Cable Storage
- One year warranty
The Pro will add some ease to your coffee style for sure with its advanced Latte system. This machine is again among the next-gen of Nespresso with powerful features to give a new experience of capsule brewing.
8. De’Longhi Gran Lattissima
- One touch does it all: De'Longhi patented one-touch fresh...
- Premium design: The Nespresso Gran Lattissima features a...
- Versatile: Choose from 9 one-touch beverages selections,...
- Practical design: Sliding drip tray accommodates different...
The most advanced Latte system is the latest Gran Lattissima. The looks will surely flatter you with the Matt finish and stainless steel accents. The touch panel is crafted with glass for a premium finish. This machine has 6 dedicated buttons for milk-based recipes and 3 buttons for simple espresso drinks. Gran Lattissima has the most variety of drinks with dedicated buttons.
- Dimensions: 17.5 x 14.1 x 10.2 inches
- Weight: 14.35 lbs
- 9 Dedicated buttons for One Touch Drinks (3 Coffee options + 6 Milk Options)
- Coffee Drinks – Espresso, Ristretto, and Lungo
- Milk-Based Drinks – Cappuccino, Latte Macchiato, Flat White, Caffè Latte, Hot Milk and Hot Foam
- 19 Bar pump pressure
- Matt finish with steel accents for a premium look
- Milk tank capacity – 16.9 oz
- Water container capacity – 33.8 oz
- 25 seconds heat-up time for coffee and 15 seconds for milk-based
- Adjustable drip tray for larger cups
With even more functionality in the Lattissima series, this machine is the edge. With 9 dedicated buttons for different drinks, you get what you paid for, the extreme convenience. For an amazing cup of coffee, this machine is the epitome of Nespresso for milk-based drinks. So if you are a capsule coffee lover, have a big budget and extra space to accommodate, don’t miss the Gran Lattissima.
You might like: Where to buy Nespresso Pods
Best Nespresso Vertuoline Coffee Machines
9. Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso machine
- VERSATILE AUTOMATIC COFFEE MAKER: Brew different single...
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Vertuo coffee makers use a patented...
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE MACHINE: create barista grade brewed...
- FEATURES: Extra-large 54 oz water tank and a very large 17...
The Nespresso Vertuo makes both regular coffee as well as espresso. The working of Vertuo is based on the Centrifusion technology we discussed at the beginning. The make is quite different from the Originals. Its used capsule container holds up to 13 large and 17 small capsules. It comes optionally bundled with Aeroccino 3 frother hot or cold milk froth.
- Dimensions: 11.5 x 19.45 x 15.67 inches
- Weight: 12.96 lbs
- Centrifusion technology brews both espresso and regular coffee
- Two cup sizes: small for espresso and large for coffee
- Water Tank Capacity: 54 oz
- Fast heat-up time of 15 seconds
- Programmable cup sizes
- Aeroccino Plus frother heats and/or froths milk
- Capsule code recognition means brewing is customized to each blend
- One-touch brewing
- Automatic shut-off after 9 minutes (Can be programmed)
- Used capsule container holds 17 capsules
- 1-year warranty
Some customers have claimed that the crema tastes a bit different with Vertuo as it is produced by spinning instead of forcing water through the grounds under pressure. But all in all, the coffee tastes great and has a velvety texture.
The Aeroccino Plus frother that comes separately allows you to heat and froth milk for the lattes and cappuccinos. Additionally, it can be used with almost any Nespresso unit and if you already have one, can be skipped in the bundle. This device also froths cold milk for iced lattes.
Here is our full review of Vertuo Evoluo you need more details on it.
10. Nespresso Vertuo Next
- QUALITY ENABLED BY TECHNOLOGY:This Nespresso Vertuo machine...
- QUALITY MADE SIMPLE: This Nespresso machine delivers a...
- QUALITY ROOTED IN SUSTAINABILITY: The aluminium sealed...
- NESPRESSO CAPSULES: Includes a complimentary starter set of...
Enter the new world of easy coffee with Vertuo Next. With minimal size, this compact powerhouse boasts incredible features that can make your coffee brewing experience much easier. Its 54% body is made with recycled materials that truly help nature to get rid of some plastic waste.
Your drink is just one touch away. The machine automatically adapts to the brewing parameters required with the help of a barcode present on the capsule. The Vertuo capsules barcodes point to the brew size and other significant information that the machine requires to perform the process. This is what makes Vertuo a unique system and no other third-party capsules are compatible.
- Dimensions – 5.5 x 16.8 x 12.4 inches
- Weighs – 8.8 pounds
- Slim design – only 5.5 inches wide
- 37 oz removable water reservoir
- Fast heat-up of 25 seconds
- Descaling alarm
- Brews coffee and espresso
- Coffee drink size – 5, 8, and 14oz
- Brews single or double espresso
- Brews 18oz pour-over style carafe also
- 10 used capsules storage
Vertuo Next is the first machine that can brew 6 different cup sizes – Coffee (5, 8, and 14oz), single espresso (1.35oz), double espresso(2.7oz), and pour-over style carafe (18oz). The size of the machine is truly compact, just 5.5 inches wide.
For a coffee lover who wants a compact capsule system that brews both espresso and a regular cup of coffee without much fuzz, Vertuo Next is your way to go.
You might like: Best Nespresso Vertuo Pods
Why Buy A Nespresso Machine
Nespresso has gained popularity because of its ease of use. It’s tiring to make a cup of espresso early in the morning from your typical espresso machine. It consumes time as well as resources along with some mess. Another reason for switching is time, as usual, the espresso machine takes time to heat up, brew, and serve. As it uses a capsule system, it’s pretty fast.
Also, it takes a lot of time, practice, experience, and expensive equipment to learn pulling espresso shots like a real barista along with many humanitarian efforts. Since, when Nestlé introduced Nespresso Machines, they were trying to make it possible for everyone to make perfect espresso regardless of their skill level. The idea worked fine and now dominates many renowned coffee maker brands.
It’s also worth knowing that Nespresso pays premium prices to farmers for the coffee used in the pods, as well as investing in training farmers and supporting economic growth in developing countries. Coffee farmers are some of the poorest in the world, and it’s good to see a big multinational company supporting their interests.
What to look for when Buying a Nespresso Machine
Type – Original or Vertuo
The Nespresso machine you are going to buy largely depends on a simple decision – Do you need regular coffee or are just biased towards espresso-based drinks. Vertuoline can make both regular and espresso with its Centrifusion technology whereas the Original Line will make just espresso. The cost doesn’t vary much but the variation comes with capsules as both machines use a different line of those. There is no prior coffee experience required in both the series as they are easy to use and make great coffee. Just choose the type of drinks you are going to make which will greatly help you pick the correct machine. We have done a real comparison of Original Line vs Vertuoline for a more detailed evaluation.
You might like: Nespresso Vertuo vs Original
Milk Or Espresso
If you simply need espresso, go with the basic series, like say Pixie or Essenza. But if the type of coffee you want to make needs advanced milk texturing and frothing, the Lattissima and Creatista are perfect.
Manual or Automatic Frothing
The Lattissima has dedicated buttons for a range of coffee drinks that are further programmable. With a touch of a button, these machines brew specialty drinks as well as basic ones, so automatic frothing. On the other hand, Creatista brews espresso and frothing has to be done manually by a special frothing wand. The basic machines come with a separate frother that does automates to a level but the froth is of average quality.
The Nespresso Original Line capsules are cheaper when compared to Vertuo and they are also available in cheaper forms via other brands. Also, there are reusable capsules for Original Line machines which can be refilled with ground coffee and can cost almost one-fourth of the actual pod cost. So, if you are on a limited budget, the best is to go with an Original Line and to save more, buy refillable options.
But if you are after quality drinks with minimum options, go with Vertuoline as the flavors are really special in a limited way.
Is Nespresso better than Keurig?
Keurig and Nespresso are both world-renowned brands in the single-serve coffee makers category. The first-time buyer of the single-serve machine often gets confused within these two. Well, both these brands offer a great cup but differ in functionality as well as outputs.
Keurig coffee makers are designed to brew regular drip coffee by K-cups. The K-cups for tea and hot chocolate are also available. On the other hand, basic Nespresso machines are designed to brew espresso and other espresso-based drinks. Nespresso Vertuoline coffee machines are designed to be capable of brewing coffee as well as espresso, but the cost of capsules goes pretty high.
So, whenever we are comparing a Keurig vs Nespresso, we are actually comparing between a drip coffee maker or an espresso machine! It’s that simple.
You might like: Keurig vs Nespresso Comparison
All the above machines have proven to be great companions. Just bunch your requirements and add the one that is near to that!
If you are looking for a compact capsule machine that can simply brew espresso, go with Nespresso Essenza Mini or the Pixie. But if you are looking for one that can pull an espresso shot and can also make milk-based drinks easily, the Lattissima series will work best for you. Just decide between space and budget and you can pick any then.
For people who want to have fun by taking control of milk frothing along with capsule espresso shots, there is nothing better than the Creatista Plus.
Lastly, for people who would like to brew regular coffee as well as espresso, the Nespresso Vertuo line is your way to move.
In the end, we really appreciate it if you’ve found the above collection helpful to pick your favorite.
Nope, the wide range of Nespresso is divided mainly into 4 categories – the basic Nespresso Machines; the Lattissimas; the Nespresso Vertuo series, and the Creatista. All the categories use the capsule to brew but have a different subset of features that makes them differ from each category.
Yes, the Nespresso machine can make regular coffee when you buy their Vertuo Line brewer. It is capable of brewing both espresso and regular coffee with Centrifusion technology.
We suggest trying some alternate compatible capsules from other brands. They are relatively cheaper and are available in a wide variety to suit your taste buds.
Nespresso Vertuo Next and the Lattissima One are the two new additions to the Nespresso family. Both are compact machines with some handsome features for the new generation.
For us, the Lattissima Touch is the most feature-rich Nespresso with dedicated buttons for many beverages. When talking about Vertuo, Vertuo Next is our favorite choice.
- About Nespresso – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nespresso
- How Nespresso revolutionized – https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jul/14/nespresso-coffee-capsule-pods-branding-clooney-nestle-recycling-environment
- How Nespresso Vertuo is better than Keurig – https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/reviewed/2021/07/19/nespresso-vertuoplus-get-our-favorite-coffee-maker-sale-steal/8020346002/