Cappuccino is one of the world’s favorites when it comes to milk-based espresso drinks. It’s a popular, and common one, but sadly, it can be hard to make without an advanced espresso or a dedicated cappuccino machine.
When it comes to the delight of tasting a proper cappuccino, it comes down to two options – First is, go to a cafe that has your favorite drink on the menu; the second is to bring home one of the best cappuccino makers from an easily sorted list like this one!
We came up with this article about the best cappuccino machines to help you decide one for your next home coffee endeavor. Each product is tagged with its fantastic features along with its basic parameters which are going to be helpful in concluding the buying decision.
Do keep a note that these machines will not only make an amazing cappuccino but many other specialty beverages. This means that the list is mainly composed of espresso machines, which have intuitive features to make cappuccino like a boss.
Best Cappuccino Machine – Our Top Picks
1. Breville BES870XL Barista Express – Best Feature Packed Cappuccino Maker
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty...
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Integrated precision conical burr...
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually...
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control...
Breville’s BES870XL brings an integrated conical burr grinder combined with a semi-automatic espresso machine to help you reach that flavor you desire. It has all the features to make the best cup of cappuccino. All you have to do is a little practice on pulling the perfect shots and steaming the milk.
Features At A Glance
- The steam wand allows preparing proper milk foam with the right texture and flavor.
- The smart grinder will deliver the right amount of coffee depending on the filter and your taste.
- Temperature control allows optimal extraction for Espresso.
- Precise grinding allows different sizes with a simple dial.
- Single or double shot settings that adjust the grind amount automatically.
- Accessories like cleaning kit, water filter, coffee scoop, and more.
- The steam wand is great and makes amazing cappuccinos.
- High-quality materials and professional use.
- Price is good for what you get.
- Professional use means it’s more complicated to use most of the time, so this is a more advanced machine.
This machine is good, really good in fact, but it’s not for beginners. I would say that the Breville’s should be used by intermediate or advanced home baristas who want an affordable yet professional espresso machine at home.
If you need more details about this product, visit our complete review of Breville Barista Express
2. Mr. Coffee One-Touch – Best Affordable Cappuccino Machine
The One-Touch from Mr. Coffee will whip milk automatically to bring perfect froth easily and fast. It comes under a very normal budget and is a great pick for people who seeking an added advantage of cappuccino drinking at the comfort of their home in an affordable range.
Features At A Glance
- An intuitive interface allows the user to get the correct extraction for Espresso with just 1 button.
- The milk reservoir is removable, allowing easy cleaning and filling, also a great advantage is that you can simply store the reservoir directly in the fridge if there’s some leftover milk.
- 19 bar Italian pressure pump.
- Single or double Espresso shot button that also works for cappuccino and latte functions.
- Automatic milk frother whips milk directly into the glass.
- 1 touch cappuccino maker.
- 650 ml milk tank.
- Adjustable cup tray for short or tall cups up to 10 inches.
- As easy as it gets, this machine is made so that even a kid can use it
- Intuitive and simple controls
- Removable milk reservoir with an incorporated automatic frother
- Small footprint
- Lack of customization when it comes to frothing and intensity of the coffee
This Mr. Coffee machine is truly made for anyone, it’s great for beginners and the price is well tagged for what you get. However, professionals may find themselves wanting more since most of the time adjusting settings can truly make a difference.
3. Mr. Coffee Café Barista – Best Cappuccino Maker with Frother
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and...
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
- Trouble Free Automatic Milk Frother Removes the Guesswork....
- One touch control panel for drink selections
Another Mr. Coffee machine brings comfort and professional use into one. Meet Café Barista, a mini and a very affordable cappuccino maker for the home. It’s priced under its successor One-Touch but brings almost the same comfort home. The major differences are the pressure pump – Cafe Barista has 15 bar whereas One-Touch has 19 bar; milk reservoir – 450 ml vs 650 ml.
Features At Glance
- A semi-automatic machine that works like espresso, latte, and of course, cappuccino maker.
- 15 bar Italian pressure pump.
- 450 ml milk container.
- A removable milk reservoir allows the user to store leftover milk as well as easy cleaning and filling.
- Intuitive controls that allow selection of coffee drinks with just one touch.
- Automatic milk frother makes steaming easy.
- Easier to use than most professional machines.
- Automatic frother with the removable reservoir makes things faster and cleaner.
- Small footprint.
- The professional method of brewing may not be as easy to use for everyone.
The Café Barista is a great machine that gives you ease of use but also nice control over the end product in a very decent price bracket. So if you are looking for an easy-to-use and affordable cappuccino maker, go for this one.
4. Nespresso VertuoPlus – Best Single-Serve Capsule Cappuccino Machine
Nespresso has come up with the all-new Vertuo series, and for cappuccino lovers, this is great news. With this machine home, one just has to insert a coffee pod and the machine will do all the work for you to bring a great espresso in the cup. Then with an automatic frother, you can froth the milk to make a delicious cappuccino. Most of the homes love Nespresso for its ease of use and consistently great results.
Features At A Glance
- Automatic machine with a versatile range of cup sizes.
- Nespresso’s Vertuo are high-quality coffee capsules.
- Nespresso’s Aeroccino makes amazing milk for cappuccinos or lattes.
- Intuitive controls make the machine easy to use.
- Both the reservoir and the Aeroccino are removable, easy to clean and of high-quality materials.
- Amazing 15 second heat-up time.
- Includes some Vertuo capsules to use your brand new machines as soon as it arrives.
- As easy to use as it gets.
- The included Aeroccino 3 makes amazing foam.
- High-quality build.
- Huge range of cup sizes.
- It only works with the VertuoLine pods which makes each cup of coffee a little bit more costly but improves comfort and speed.
Nespresso is popular for a reason, the quality is great and it’s easy to use. The new Vertuo capsules keep the brand’s taste and this machine makes amazing coffee for a fair price.
5. Keurig K-Café – Best Looking Cappuccino Maker
- COFFEE, LATTES & CAPPUCCINOS: Use any K-Cup pod to brew...
- SIMPLE BUTTON CONTROLS: Just insert any K-Cup pod and use...
- LARGE 60oz WATER RESERVOIR: Allows you to brew 6 cups before...
- SMART START: Your coffee maker heats, then brews in one...
The K-Café will be a favorite for those who love to have their coffee fast and bring the best out of their cup. Keurig with the market competition brought this machine that has both coffee and espresso functionality. The integrated milk frother makes deliciously textured milk for those amazing lattes and cappuccinos.
Features At A Glance
- Automatic machine, comfortable and easy to use.
- Dishwasher safe frother is easy to use and works like a charm.
- Strong brew and Coffee shot functions. The strong brew giving a bolder taste and the coffee shot giving the perfect base for specialty drinks.
- 4 different cup sizes for 6, 8, 10, and 12 ounces.
- Simple and intuitive controls that allow anyone to use the machine with ease.
- Removable 60-ounce water reservoir for easy cleaning and filling.
- Easy to use with amazing quality.
- The frother is easy to clean and manipulate, also makes great foam.
- Nice specialty features with the Strong Brew and Coffee Shot buttons.
- Only works with K Cup pods.
- Some consumers complain about electrical issues with some units.
Keurig makes great machines and this one is not the exception. It brings great things to the table and competes with Nespresso’s best. Within a short span, this machine has seen hot upsells.
6. De’Longhi La Specialista – Advanced Cappuccino Brewer
- Sensor grinding technology: Exclusive segsing technology...
- The smart tamping station: Simply pull the lever to tamp the...
- Active temperature control with dual heating system: The...
- Advanced latte system: Micro-foam frothing for Latte Art or...
When it comes to professional machines at home, it doesn’t get much better than La Specialista. It’s a retro look coffee machine that gives your coffee area a little distinct lookup. Give a touch of yellow light tint and it will look beautiful indeed in the dark.
Features At A Glance
- An integrated grinder gives you the freshest cup of coffee you can get with a machine.
- The tamping station allows perfect results.
- Quick-Start function allows you to start grinding as soon as the machine is plugged.
- The Latte system gives you amazing frothing and steaming capabilities.
- Temperature is controlled constantly for consistency.
- High-quality and professional grade.
- Great features with a full-house of anything a barista would need.
- The footprint is not as big as most machines with this many features.
- More costly than other machines.
- Can be overwhelming for a novice.
La Specialista is one of the best machines you can buy out there, but sure it’s expensive and it can be really hard to use if you are not a pr. Still, what a barista can make with this little beast is impressive with its advanced features and control over the brewed drink.
7. SowTech Espresso Maker
The small but powerful Sowtech Espresso maker is a perfect entry-level machine for those who want to start themselves in the world of espresso and cappuccino making.
Features At A Glance
- User-friendly machine with simple controls.
- Extremely portable and small footprint.
- Frothing arm works great, although is not as easy to use as others included in bigger machines.
- Up to 4 cups of espresso can be made.
- Included carafe as well as a spoon and a filter.
- Competitive price.
- Frothing arm is a nice feature that usually cannot be found in machines around this price.
- Carafe for up to 4 cups of espresso.
- Simple as it gets and easy to use.
- Compact design.
- Fairly basic, not exactly suited for professional use.
- No milk frother included.
This small but powerful machine will work like a charm at home for those who just want a simple espresso maker with a frothing arm as an extra feature.
8. De’Longhi EC155 – Most Affordable Cappuccino & Espresso Maker
- EVERY CUP TO YOUR LIKING: 15-bar professional pressure...
- BREW LIKE A PRO: Whatever your preference – single or...
- YOUR FOAM, YOUR WAY: A manual frother mixes steam and milk...
- ONE ESPRESSO SHOT OR TWO. The three-in-one filter holder,...
The small EC155 will bring a nice professional machine into a portable and economical setting. This product by DeLonghi is their entry-level machine and they are already a well-known brand in the coffee industry. So, if you are on a tight budget, don’t be afraid to check out this one for your needs.
Features At A Glance
- Can use either pods or ground coffee for extra versatility.
- Frother arm makes great foam.
- Perfect double temperature control for water and steam.
- Compact design.
- Easy cleaning.
- A lot of features in a small footprint.
- Affordable price with high-quality.
- Double espresso shot feature available with the included holder.
- Can brew from pods or ground coffee.
- May not have as many features as bigger machines.
- Bad coffee cup clearance.
The EC155 is a great machine in a small package, has some great features along with a fairly competitive price and a compact design.
9. Saeco Incanto Automatic Cappuccino & Latte Maker
- Elegant design, Best materials, and high quality Workmanship
- Brew each Coffee as you like it, and save your preferences...
- Professional Disc grinder made of 100% ceramic for...
- Classic milk frothier allows you to control the milk froth...
A classy machine with a modern look that brings all the features you need. It’s super-automatic, so you don’t have to mess much with many things around. It is a cappuccino maker as well as a latte maker with dedicated one-touch controls. So if you are looking for the best automatic cappuccino maker, this one is great to go for.
Features At A Glance
- Extremely high-quality build.
- Automatic milk frother.
- Removable and easy to clean milk reservoir.
- High-performance disc grinder.
- Automatic cleansing and descaling system with removable tanks make cleaning extremely easy.
- 9 oz water reservoir along with an 8.8 oz bean hopper.
- Powder option for decaffeinated coffee.
- Super high-quality machine with all the bells and whistles you need.
- Design is as elegant as it gets when it comes to coffee machines.
- Size is very comfortable and footprint is not bad at all.
- Everything on this machine is premium, and it feels like it.
- High price for a premium product.
There are not many machines that can beat the Saeco Incanto in a contest, but the price can be a deal-breaker. However, this Saeco coffee machine is made for professionals and people who are serious about their coffee.
10. Nespresso Lattissima Plus
- Removable dip tray is present
- Included Components: Espresso Machine
The Lattissima Plus brings all the Nespresso love along with amazing cappuccino-making features. The capsule machine brings home the combination of built-in frother along with capsule experience to bring things into complete ease.
Features At A Glance
- Uses the Nespresso capsule system that we all love.
- The removable automatic cappuccino maker (or automatic frother) works great and is easy to use and clean.
- Controls are easy to use and intuitive.
- Fast heat-up system.
- 30 oz water container.
- Small size for an amazing performance.
- Convenient as it gets.
- Elegant design.
- Easy to clean.
- Slightly expensive.
- Only works with Nespresso capsules, although this could be an advantage.
The Nespresso Lattissima Plus is a great option for Nespresso lovers or simply for those who like a convenient and fast machine that makes great cappuccinos.
What is a Cappuccino?
Now let’s clear up some doubts that people may have about this amazing beverage we call cappuccino. This coffee-based drink has to meet some requirements to be called such and a properly made cappuccino is completely different from a simple drip coffee with whipped milk.
Cappuccinos are espresso-based, which means you cannot prepare a proper cappuccino with just regular drip coffee; instead, you need that strong base to make it happen.
A base of espresso, with milk on top that has been whipped until it becomes a micro-foam, that’s what a real cappuccino is.
How To Make Cappuccino
So now that we stated what a cappuccino is, how do we make it? Well, it’s rather simple, a proper cappuccino has 1 part of espresso for every part of milk, and the milk is poured onto the espresso to keep the foam. If using a transparent glass or cup, you should be able to see the separation. To achieve this, milk has to be poured slowly and carefully.
Having great coffee is a big aspect of a good cappuccino, but also a proper foam on the milk, therefore what frother you use is quite important.
So once you get an espresso machine with a steam wand or a frother, congratulations, you can make a proper cappuccino as long as you follow the simple steps needed. Also, remember that you can top it with some shaved chocolate or cinnamon for an extra taste and of course, decoration.
Things To Consider to buy the Best Cappuccino Maker
Before rushing out to buy an espresso machine with a steam wand or an automatic frother, you have to consider a few factors that will make a difference in the long run. There are several price ranges, features, sizes, and many more, all of which we have to consider before making the purchase decision.
Pod vs Semi-Automatic vs Automatic
The first thing to consider is fairly simple, where will the coffee come from? It can come from ground coffee, from a pod, or even directly from beans, if the machine has a grinder.
Pod-based cappuccino makers are usually the most convenient, since, as long as you have the pods available, you will be able to get an espresso in seconds, and usually the milk will be foamed also in no time. This fast operation and how easy it is to use them made them extremely popular. These machines nowadays also have high-quality coffee, so it’s no wonder they became a favorite.
Pod machines are also really clean, so this just improves their already high convenience. Nespresso coffee machines are the most popular for this format.
Semi-automatic machines are more of a hands-on experience, where the user has control over most factors. The only difference between a semi and an automatic machine is that the semi requires more user interaction, making it a bit harder to use, and therefore is recommended for more experienced baristas.
Now for Automatic machines, we will have to add the coffee grounds (or beans) ourselves, but usually, this is still a fairly hands-off experience. Just by filling in everything the machine needs and we will have everything covered. This is convenient and allows the user to use whatever coffee he or she wants. The only true difference is that these machines tend to be the one-button kind of experience. This kind of cappuccino maker is popular because of its simplicity and ease of use.
For the milk frother or steam wand, you will find a lot of different variations and most of them will get the job done. This point, in particular, will be mentioned below.
Time to Brew
Another point to consider is how fast you want that cappuccino made and ready to drink. Here, the pod system takes the prize, since you can have it ready in a minute. For a fully automatic espresso machine, it is still fast but it also depends if you have one of those high-end models with a grinder, which takes a little longer but brews fresher coffee. For the semi-automatic, it takes a bit longer, but if you are a barista, you know this time is worth it.
As we mentioned previously, some machines have an automatic frother, which pretty much prepares the milk you put in, usually in a reservoir. These frothers are pretty convenient but obviously, you won’t have the control you would with a steam wand. The steam wand foams the milk and you move the frothing cup as you wish or the wand to create the foam you are looking for. Another example of a frothing system is the popular Nespresso Aeroccino, which has a great result but you will have to pour the milk pretty much every single time you want to froth it, however cleaning these is extremely easy.
Another point we should mention is that usually steam wands are cheaper because the automatic method requires more components.
The boiler as you may expect will affect the speed of the machine and of course, how accurate the temperature will be. For this area, we have to talk about 3 categories, the single boiler, the thermoblock boiler, and the dual boiler machines.
Single boilers are usually the ones found in the basic machines. They are simple and cannot work the coffee and the milk at the same time. This means that you will have to wait for each process to finish and for the boiler to reach the right temperature for the next one. You cannot extract espresso at the same temperature that you need to froth milk.
For the thermoblock boilers, they are separated into two sections so you can extract espresso and prepare the milk at the same time. They tend to heat up fast and usually are pretty convenient.
Dual boiler machines tend to be the most expensive and they have customizable temperatures for both espresso and milk, therefore you are allowed to control everything. Only high-end machines use dual boilers and only a great barista should use it, as the temperature control can bring a great difference to the cup of cappuccino.
Ease of Use
Convenience is important in modern times. Most people are always in a hurry, on a schedule, or simply want to waste the least amount of time possible. A coffee machine is not only convenient because of the speed but because of the ease of use. An intuitive set of controls is important, as it will allow you to operate the machine with a couple of buttons. But also another part is how many things you have to prepare to use the machine, how long it takes to heat up and such.
You can say that pod machines will always be the easiest ones to use and also if they have an automatic frother, better. Automatic machines are the second in this category, but it also depends on, for example, if you are gonna grind the coffee beans and such.
This is important, and well, you can find a proper cappuccino machine for as little as $100, but a professional machine will go for over ten or twenty times that. It depends on how serious you are about this, if you are just in for some simple cappuccinos or espressos, a simple machine or a pod machine will do. But let’s say you are a barista, you wanna experiment and make art out of those cappuccinos, then, you will need something professional.
Don’t overspend on something with features that you are not gonna use, but also don’t go for something too simple if you plan on actually trying out more sophisticated things.
Cappuccinos are amazing if you love coffee, and especially espresso, chances are you are gonna love a good cappuccino, so having a machine to make it is never a bad idea.
Find whatever you need and whatever you want on this list and rest safe that you will be buying something worth every cent, doesn’t matter how expensive or cheap it is.
- Can I make Cappuccino in a Coffee Maker?
Yes, you can, but that will not be as decadent as an original one with an espresso machine. A Cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk, and 1/3 foam basically. So, brew your regular coffee, and then for the frothed, heat 2% milk or no-fat milk. Heat until it starts to boil. Now use an immersion blender to produce the froth or shake the milk in a sealed jar. Pour over this froth on the coffee you just made.
- How do Cappuccino machines work?
These machines are not a different thing and are actually espresso machines. These work by forcing very hot water through the puck of coffee grounds. After that, frothed or steamed milk is used to create the top layer of cappuccino.
- What is the difference between Latte and Cappuccino
A cappuccino is 1/3 espresso, 1/3 espresso, and 1/3 foam whereas the latte is 1/6 espresso, 4/6 steamed milk, and 1/6 foam. So, Latte has more milk content than a cappuccino. Here is our guide about latte vs cappuccino for more elaboration.
- What is the ratio of milk in Cappuccino?
The steamed milk is one-third of the overall cappuccino which is the same as the espresso part of the drink. The rest of one-third is foam on top.
- Which is stronger, Latte or Cappuccino
A latte is 2/3 milk whereas a cappuccino is 2/3 espresso, so a cappuccino is much stronger than a latte.