Coffee Brewing is an art no one can deny and has many forms. One of the most praised forms is the French Press. Most of the coffee connoisseurs have this equipment and they test their brewing skills from time to time. Being so popular, people are often found searching for the best coffee beans for French Press. Here we are going to give a glance at our favorites.
You can find many great ground coffees in the market that do well in espresso but don’t expect that it will work equally well with a French Coffee Press. Most of the coffee available in the market is too fine and it tends to pass through the mesh filters of a Press; result – Sediments in a coffee cup!
The flavor will also suffer as medium or coarse grind gives a much brighter flavor in Press brewing. For best results, we suggest grinding the beans just before you brew. In French Press, a medium to coarse grind size is the most appropriate.
Note: If you are looking for a wider range, we suggest reading our guide on best coffee beans here, so that you can brew them by most of the brewers.
Best Coffee Beans For French Press
1. Exotic Peaberry Gift Box
- Peaberry is the best of the best and this gift box include some of our most exotic and reasonably...
- Arrives in a beautiful gift box.
- Medium roasted whole beans allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable...
- Fresh roasted the immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Tanzania – Smooth buttery body, dry finish, delicate sweet acidity
- Guatemala – Lively cup with subtle smokey spicy overtones
- Malawai – Soft floral tones and notes of spice and chocolate with a caramelized tangerine zest
- El Salvador – Tart, cinnamon spice, and caramel sweetness
Well, Peaberry coffee is one of the most appreciated types, we have a whole bunch here. The package contains four 16 ounces packs – Tanzania Peaberry, Guatemala Peaberry, Malawai Peaberry, and El Salvador Peaberry.
Volcanica coffee company is one of the largest importers of gourmet coffee beans from volcanic regions all around the world. The coffee is Organic, Fairtrade, and Rainforest Alliance certified. It is packed in a beautiful satin box tied with a ribbon, so it can also be a great gift for a coffee lover.
Each coffee box is freshly roasted just before it is set to leave for the customer. This ensures that your coffee is freshly roasted and will taste optimal.
2. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Fresh Roast Coffee
- ETHIOPIAN YIRGACHEFFE KOCHERE COFFEE Is A Well Balanced, Mild African Coffee With Notes Of Lemon And...
- SINGLE-ORIGIN FROM KOCHERE, ETHIOPIA. Medium Roast. Heirloom Varietal. Wash Processed & Sun Dried.
- ALL FRESH ROASTED COFFEE IS Kosher Certified, Sustainably Sourced and Proudly Roasted, Blended, and...
- ALL OUR COFFEES ARE ROASTED in Our Environmentally Friendly Loring Roaster to Reduce Our Carbon...
- AVAILABLE IN WHOLE BEAN AS 12 OZ, 2 LB, and 5 LB Bags.
Cupping Notes: Lemon, Honey, Mild Roast: Medium
A list without Ethiopian coffee is incomplete as Ethiopia is the birthplace of coffee. This is 100% Arabica coffee with no preservatives, additives, or artificial interference. African coffees are often bright and fruity than their siblings. With low acid content, this coffee can be an excellent pick for people with stomach problems.
The coffee has dominant lemon notes with some hints of honey. It has a balanced profile that is loved by almost every coffee person. Kochere is a small area 5900-6550 feet above sea level within the well-known Yirgacheffe coffee-growing region of Ethiopia. The area has acidic mineral-dense soil and soaring altitudes, perfect for growing coffee.
3. Starbucks Breakfast Blend
- Breakfast Blend is a lively and lighter roast with a crisp finish
- While we've updated our look and how we describe our tasting notes, Starbucks Breakfast Blend is...
- Enjoy the Starbucks coffee you love without leaving the house
- For finest taste, always use clean, filtered water, clean your machine before using, and grind beans...
- Each pack includes 6 12-ounce bags of whole-bean Starbucks coffee
Cupping Notes: Sweet Orange and Brown Sugar Roast: Medium
Starbucks can be said as one of the pioneers of the coffee industry. We won’t say as all of their coffee is best, but few of them are. They rooted themselves in the coffee industry through the amazing experience they created with their popular Starbucks cafes. People just love to hang out or spend time there.
The breakfast blend by Starbucks is a great one to start your day with. It’s a medium roast coffee with a bright and tangy profile. It’s a lively and lighter roast with a smooth crisp finish. It’s a not too bold coffee, nor too mild and gets the job done every morning.
Overall, this blend is a great start to kick up your day. The quality control and bean selection is at par with Starbucks.
4. Death Wish Coffee
- WORLD’S STRONGEST COFFEE: Our whole coffee beans will transform your basic cup of joe into a...
- QUALITY BREW: Hands down, the best whole coffee beans in the world. One sip of our best-selling...
- BOLD FLAVOR: Immerse yourself in a smooth, subtle, never bitter cherry and chocolate flavor profile....
- FAIR AND ORGANIC: Every 16 oz. bag of Death Wish Coffee is filled to the top with whole Coffee beans...
- TRY IT RISK-FREE: Death Wish Coffee comes highly rated by thousands of satisfied customers who can't...
Cupping Notes: Hints of cherry and chocolate Roast: Dark
If you are not a normal human being and need a heavy kick to wake up, Death Wish might be a perfect pick for you. It’s claimed to be among the strongest coffee on the globe with almost double the dose of caffeine than in a normal cup. So if you are a lazy person who really needs a physical kick to wake up from bed must try this coffee.
The coffee is Fair Trade, USDA Certified Organic, and Kosher that obviously gives hints for a quality coffee. It’s obviously a dark roast, but only buy, if you can really deal with it. For the coffee to be strong, it’s not 100% Arabica but rather a mix of Robusta and Arabica beans.
5. Koffee Kult Dark Roast
Cupping Notes: Cocoa Cinnamon, Smooth, Heavy Body, Bright with a long finish Roast: Dark
Our next strongest coffee is the Koffee Kult. We picked up the dark roast beans as it’s one of the hottest sellers by the brand. It’s a 100% gourmet coffee that is carefully picked and served with quality standards. The pack is a blend of beans from Colombia, Guatemala, and Sumatra.
Though it’s a dark roast, the end results will not be bitter. It’s less acidic and so good for people with sensitive stomachs. Koffee Kult is a family-owned business and has its own well-trained artisan roasters. They even welcome anyone to visit their premises and watch their process for complete peace of mind.
6. Real Good Coffee Co Donut Shop
- Medium Roast Coffee: Our Donut Shop whole bean coffee has a classic sweet and smooth flavor, perfect...
- Sustainable Medium Roast Coffee Beans: Our coffee is made with premium quality Arabica coffee beans...
- Tasting Notes: Our Donut Shop coffee features the flavors of brown sugar and hazelnut, with a hint...
- Works With All Coffee Brewers: Our medium roast whole bean coffee is suitable for any good coffee...
- Real Good Coffee Co: With over 30 years’ experience of coffee sourcing and craft roasting in...
Cupping Notes: Brown sugar and hazelnut, with a hint of plum Roast: Medium
The name says it all, Real Good coffee is an amazing option to try next. They are a small team doing beans sourcing and craft roasting in Seattle for 30 years. The main objective of this team is to provide quality beans at a reasonable price, so no waste in unnecessary fancy things. you will feel their sincerity by the sweet and smooth flavor from the first sip to the bottom of the cup.
The Donut Shop blend is 100% arabica and has origins from Central and South America. For French press brewing, they recommend 55 grams of coarse coffee grounds for 34 oz water. After that, steep for 4 minutes before you plunge and it’s done!
Where To Buy Coffee For French Press
The first option everyone must seek is a roaster around your area. If there is one near you, try that at first priority as it will give you the freshest beans possible. However, not everyone is lucky enough and therefore you can try to buy online.
For your online confusions, the above listed beans will all be roasted near to the date you are buying. Most of the beans above are freshly roasted and shipped directly from the roasters.
If you buy from a supermarket, the dates are often skipped and people just pick the brands. Checking with the date is an important aspect when buying coffee beans as that is the only factor that decides what you are getting.
Another good option is to attach yourself to one of the best coffee subscription services that we have listed and taste something new every month. However, there are customizations so that you can personalize the beans for your French Press needs.
Connect with a Coffee Subscription
Yep, you heard right! A coffee subscription is a service that sends you your favorite type of freshly roasted coffee beans in your decided interval weekly/monthly/quarterly. Below are some services you can try!
- Blue Bottle Coffee – Well, they have their own definitions! They say Single origins, blends, and espresso coffee hit their peak and stay at peak for 2 to 3 days. Consuming at that interval will give you an amazing experience. Here is the table to understand what peaks when. They have a Single origin, some amazing blends, especially espresso, and decaffeinated coffee for their lovers. You can try on them or can also give preference to what your needs are.
- Driftaway Coffee – You might already have heard about them as they are one of the oldest subscription services. They came so long as the team loves what they do. From packaging to roasting and shipping, the team just loves doing it themselves.
Tips For Brewing With French Press
- Try to buy the most freshly roasted coffee. So always buy from reliable coffee roasters that roast their beans fresh.
- Grind just before brewing to ensure the most out of the beans. The best is to grind coarse because it aids maximum water surface area to extract the most flavors out.
- Always dual check that you have cleaned your french press so that the old smell doesn’t mix up with the fresh brewing.
- Do not buy pre-ground coffee, you won’t get good or full flavors from that.
- Use a burr grinder and a good french press to avoid hiccups in the brewing process.
- What kind of Beans go in a French Press?
Usually, people go with medium to dark roast as the steeping process in the method reduces the bitterness in darker roasts.
- What is the best grind for a French Press?
Coarse grind is best for French press brewing as it allows maximum water surface area for extraction process.
- Why French Press coffee is better?
In drip brewing, much of the oils from coffee beans are soaked in the filter whereas in French press, there is no such filter and even some grounds stay in the brewed coffee that percolates flavors resulting in a better flavor.
- Why French Press coffee is bad for you?
Well, in this process, the coffee is actually unfiltered coffee that contains some oils. Too much of that oil results in raised LDL cholesterol bad for your health. Just limit your intake to max 4 cups a day and it's alright.
- Does coffee from French Press raises LDL?
Unfiltered coffee contains bad cholesterol LDL which is not good for health. Just drink within 4 cups a day and that will be alright.
We have tried to gather just the best beans for your French press brewing experience. Though the list contains few options, every pick is top-notch. Even the subscription services we picked are best preferred for your coffee press.
Enjoy your coffee art!