We understand that using Nespresso machines regularly sometimes can feel a little costly, especially if your family is huge and addicted to coffee. The best solution is to start using Nespresso reusable pods that allow refilling our favorite coffee grounds from our favorite roasters.
Why Use Reusable Capsules?
The solution not only saves us from the heavy costs of Nespresso coffee capsules but also aids in the following benefits:
- Fresh Coffee: We are free to use fresh ground beans which is not possible in the original Nespresso pods. Though they are vacuum-sealed, we know that coffee packed inside is many days or months old.
- Ecological Benefit: You are not contributing to the tons of plastic waste which as a result comes from the use of original capsules. Every time a pod is used, we are contributing the used plastic scrape for the landfills which takes years to decompose. Just think for a while as to how many Nespresso machines are used all over the world and so how many pods are dumped every year!
- More Flavors: You will not be just limited to the Nespresso pod flavors, as we can use our favorite coffee blends or single origins from our favorite roasters.
Previously, the reusable Nespresso pods were limited to only the Original Line Nespresso machines, but now, we also have Nespresso Vertuo reusable pods. The actual Vertuo line capsules are even more costly than the basic Original line capsules, and so, vertuo capsule users are going to save even a little more.
In many ways, the better option is to start the use of Nespresso refillable pods and help in saving the environment from tons of plastic waste every year. If the idea works for you, go ahead and encourage more people for this by gifting them a refillable capsule for a good reason.
Anyways, now let’s now check the best Reusable Nespresso Pods options for our favorite coffee machine.
The Best Nespresso Reusable Pods
With the rise in the use of single-serve machines, many brands have jumped into reusable capsules and are accepted by many Nespresso fans. Obviously, when there are numerous options, we have to choose the good, better and best. To ease the selection, we have pre-selected some of the top products already doing great for the consumers.
1. Recaps Stainless Steel Reusable Capsules
- 1.Pods and tamper are made of #304 stainless steel,life-time use and environmental friendly. The...
- 2.Compatible with: U&Umilk, Lattissima&Lattissma+, Essenza mini, Most of Inissia Series, Most of...
- 3. Not Compatible with: Dolce Gusto, Nes Essenza C100, Nes Vertuoline, Nes Krups CITIZ TYPE XN...
- 4. Attention:①Leaking some water Into the tray is normal, you still could get a nice Espresso...
- 5.Item Included: 3*Pods + 120*Seals(Diameter:37mm) + 1*Tamper + 1*Plastic Scoop + 1*Brush.
Recaps is a reputed brand when it comes to reusable capsules and was found in 2010. The mission was to make the environment greener and that’s why they used the ‘Re‘ in the beginning. They developed a complete kit containing 3 reusable pods, a tamper to press, and 120 Lids. You can buy lids separately when exhausted. They are available as separate products also.
These pods are compatible with all the OriginalLine machines like Pixie, Inissia, Citiz, Essenza, Latissma, and more. For brewers with a single pin and the brewers before 2010, the company suggests not to buy as there might be a compatibility issue.
2. Sealpod Nespresso Refillable Nespresso Pods
- ☕【Harmless to Your Machine】SealPod is a Patented Designed Capsule and 100% harmless to your...
- ☕【Prepare It & Store It】No time to be filling your own coffee in the rush of a morning? We got...
- ☕【Your Coffee, Your Choice】Wonder what some of the Single Origin coffee might taste like in...
- ☕【Less Waste, More Life】SealPod capsule is made with stainless steel 304 and can last a...
- ☕【Rich Crema, Perfect Extract】Afraid you will not get a creamy coffee? SealPod Espresso Lids...
Another marvelous product on the list is the Refillable Pod by Sealpod. It is available in either 2 or 5 pc pack as required along with an option to choose either 24 or 100 packing lids. These are again metal capsules that last a lifetime or until they are lost somewhere. Compatible with most of the Nespresso Machines, Sealpod is a little costly than the Recaps, just slightly which is negligible.
Sealpod even sells reusable units for Keurig and Dolce Gusto machines. They have been long in this business and have made a consistent run.
3. i-Cafilas Reusable Capsule
- 1,ONE IS ALL-Durability,crema Reusable capsules pods,made by premium stainless steel
- 2,Equipped with stainless steel lids help you save more than other dispossable Aluminum...
- 3,Crema coffee style design,Advantage than others reusable capsules,you will get more crema on your...
- 4,Package includes: 1 reusable capsules and lid, Gift:1 coffee spoon + 1 brush to help you...
- 5,Designed for MOST OF Nespresso machine 【BUT NOT ALL】, Compatible model as belows: Nespresso U....
Another product that we loved was by i-Cafilas. It’s a complete stainless steel capsule that comes with a unique steel lid so you don’t have to worry about disposable lids getting empty. The lid locks via O ring, so no tightening of the screw and spilling your coffee. The kit comes with a free brush and spoon for easy refill and cleaning. This capsule is compatible with all the Original Line machines.
Related – Best Nespresso Compatible Capsules
4. MG Coffee Stainless Steel Reusable Nespresso Pods
- Make coffee in rich Crema style,Compatible for X7.1 X8 X9 Y 1.1 Y5 Series Original Line Machines
- Durable, built-in permanenSafe to use, 100% BPA Free, made of food-grade materialt stainless steel...
- Durable, built-in permanent stainless steel (body and mesh filter) to extend lifetime use
- Eco-Friendly, saves up to 80% over the cost of pre-filled single serving capsules，instruction...
- Package 4 set:include 1x Stainless Steel capsules ;1 x Tamper 1x spoon 1x brush; Brew your own...
Another new arrival in the market is the stainless steel capsules by MG. Because they are made of metal, they are hygienic and safe to use. The kit also contains a tamper properly sized to tamp the coffee grounds inside the capsule. The mesh filter is also made up of stainless steel to extend the life.
The material used is 100% BPA-free eco friendly. The package set includes – a capsule, tamper, filling spoon, and a brush for cleaning purposes.
The cleaning is very easy and the product is great to use.
5. My-Cap Sampler vPack Nespresso Vertuo Reusable Pods
- INCLUDES: 50 foil seals, 1 reusable cap, 20 filters, 1 capsule holder, coffee scoop, cleaning brush,...
- 2 SOLUTIONS: Foils and cap with capsule holder. Try them!
- IT WORKS: Fits all standard Nespresso VertuoLine machines, makes beautiful crema, create capsules...
- FAVORITE: Create capsules with your favorite coffee
- DISCLAMER: Nespresso and their logos are brands registered by Société des Produits Nestlé SA....
Now, this is good news for the Vertuoline machine owners: My-Cap has released a kit to make reusable Vertuo pods. This was not available for a long since because these machines use different brewing technology than the Original Line machines. The basic capsules were a bit difficult to reuse.
The kit contains 50 foil seals, 1 reusable cap, 20 coffee filters, 1 capsule holder, coffee scoop, cleaning brush, and an instruction manual.
Therefore, My-Cap with long research and testing has introduced this product which allows the used capsules to be reused and is 100 percent BPA free. The design is very different from the normal capsules but refilling is easy. Just fill the capsule with desired coffee grounds and seal with the filter provided. There are optional filters that you can use.
6. My-Cap Silicone Caps, Lids & Filter Kit
- INCLUDES: Three food grade reusable silicone caps and lids, 100 filters, and instructions.
- SOLUTION: Brew your favorite coffee with your preferred capsule. Make capsules in advance for...
- IT WORKS: Makes beautiful crema! Enjoy your favorite coffee drink: espresso, latte, cappuccino, and...
- SAFE & GREEN: Food-safe materials, and BPA & BPS free, reduced environmental impact.
- Nespresso and their logos are brands registered by Société des Produits Nestlé SA. Brand names...
Now, this is again the same thing as the last product, but it’s a complete kit. This kit contains 3 Caps, 3 lids, and 100 filters. The process is the same for refilling. You now rather have 3 lids so at a time you can make 3 capsules and can store them by sealing them with lids for future use.
Do note, the caps are for sealing coffee grounds for machine use whereas the lids are to store the prepared capsules for the future.
7. Geesta Vertuo Capsule Refill Kit
- Complete Kit: Brew creamy espresso for pennies with this Nespresso Vertuoline pods refill kit. The...
- Perfect Seal: Apply and seal your foil lid with a single twist! Our updated capsule holder has a...
- Easy To Align: Reusable Nespresso Vertuoline capsules only work if they’re perfectly sealed. This...
- Premium Quality: Thick, food-grade aluminum foil lids are super strong, so there’s no mess. The...
- Smart Solution: The GEESTA kit uses environmentally friendly, long-lasting materials, so you can...
Geesta is the latest product on the list and is fairly new, but is doing a great job. Moreover, Vertuo refillable options are very less and slowly new brands are coming up. Geesta kit allows you to refill the used Vertuo capsules easily and efficiently with its twist seal feature. The kit comes with the capsule holder, brush, scoop, and 80 food-grade foils.
Just simply place the used capsule over the holder, put the lid, and twist rotate a little with the top of the holder to lock the grounds. This ‘Twist’ feature perfectly seals the capsules for the Vertuo line machines use. The holder also has a reference marker that allows aligning the capsules at a correct position so that foils can be placed precisely.
How To Use Reusable Capsules
Brewing with reusable coffee capsules is very easy and won’t take much time. Below are the steps to do so:
- Wipe or clean your reusable capsule;
- Grind your coffee fine, for espresso;
- Use a scale to weigh 5.5 gms of grounds. You can increase or decrease according to your requirements;
- Seal the capsule with a lid or screw the cap – depends on your capsule type; and
- Brew as you do with the machine.
Here is a video for visual instructions:
How to Reuse Used Capsules
Another way is to reuse the capsules you would have been otherwise throwing away. The steps are almost the same as using the reusable capsules, with an added step of cleaning the used grounds. Here is the video for the same:
The short answer is, Yes! There are lids available that can stick to the used capsules by Nespresso. Fill your favorite coffee grounds and seal with the lid. It’s a very easy task and is also a cheaper alternative.
We recommend using the capsules only 2-3 times, and not more than that as the material won’t be able to bear heat so many times.
Yes, there are and that saves a lot of money and gives a fresh cup of coffee on every use. We have already selected the best ones and you can pick from those.
Yes, of course! By using any of the products below, we can use our choice of coffee grounds. This ensures that the coffee we are using is not stale and is from our favorite roaster or blend. This opens our selection to thousands of options available in the market.
In our words, obviously! The first reason, you are using fresh coffee; the Second reason, you are saving money; the third reason, you are not contributing aluminum or plastic waste to the environment. It just takes a few minutes to prepare a capsule for reuse.
In a basic capsule, there is one shot but last year (2018), the brand has launched a double shot espresso capsule for Vertuoline users with a very balanced profile.
A single Nespresso pod costs around $0.70 whereas if we use some other brand compatible capsules, they will cost between $0.50 to $0.80 depending on the blend and flavor. Now, let’s see how much it costs with a refillable one.
A 12 lb or a 340 gm ground coffee costs around $15 and each refilling uses 5 grams of coffee. So we can use the pack for 68 times which means $0.22 per refill. So even if we drink coffee 2 times, we are saving $0.56 in a single day, so $16.8 a month and $201.6 in a year. Isn’t it a good saving!
Nespresso is no doubt an expensive affair because of the ongoing cost of their capsules. If you are a coffee addict and lot of cups in a day or the whole family consumes coffee 2-4 times per day, the pods are surely going to burn a hole in your pocket.
The best way is to either use compatible capsules from other brands or the go with the Reusable capsules. With other compatible brands, prominent issue that people mostly face is disposing the used pods.
Another benefit was to those who are afraid of caffeine. The Decaf pods have limited variety whereas one can refill his own choice grounds in the refillable.
With tons of production of these pods, a lot of plastic waste turns up each year which is becoming a big challenge for the government to cope up. With the use of refillable, you are not only helping the system but are also playing an important role in saving the nature.
Finally, it felt great to write about the reusable Nespresso capsules as encouraging the use of these helps cleaning some clutter for the environment. We have covered here the best options and have neglected the products with bad reviews.
We also request you to encourage other people who use Nespresso machines to go with the reusable products and help in cleaning some environment.