How do you start when you’re looking for a Commercial Espresso Machine for your restaurant or cafe? There are many factors to think about, not the least of which is the fact that some of these beasts can cost over 20 thousand dollars or more.
A commercial or professional espresso machine is not like your regular espresso device, it’s something more technical than you think. These machines will be used continuously in a single day, so they must be carved out from solid counterparts that can maintain consistency for longer spans. For that, we have prepared a small guide to help you in deciding the best one for you along with some best-performing professional machines.
Let’s straightly head over to the products which we think are best for your café. We have scoured the web a lot to find the following espresso machines for commercial use. It’s an important decision, so take your time and bookmark this page if you think you need more time to decide.
|1||La Pavoni PUB 1V-R 1 Group Volumetric...||$4,650.00||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Ascaso Dream PID, Programmable Home Espresso...||$1,299.00||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Ascaso Steel PID Programmable Espresso...||$1,350.00||Buy on Amazon|
Best Commercial Espresso Machines
1. Brezerra BZ10
- Beautiful and durable, the BZ10 is housed in AISI 304...
- The namesake of the machine, the BZ10 group head is a...
- The BZ10 brews using a 1.5 liter heat exchange boiler, that...
- The machine's steam and hot water wands are both mounted on...
Made for cafes, the Brezerra BZ10 is a single group espresso machine. It is made of AISI 304 commercial grade stainless steel to last for a long. The group head is a pure professional with dual heating elements to maintain temperature stability. These dual elements provide even temperature to the group head and are controlled by a thermostat.
The machine has a 1.5-liter heat exchange boiler that lets one brew and froth at the same time. The steam and boiled water wands are mounted on ball joints for full articulation. The excess water is drained to a drip tray via a 3-way solenoid valve. All in all a great standing machine that has most of the professional barista’s need and can cater to a decent volume of the crowd.
- Two dedicated heating elements
- 5-liter heat exchange boiler to brew and steam simultaneously
- AISI 304 commercial grade polished stainless steel
- Fully articulated steam and hot water wand
- 20 oz of constant steaming; recovery time only 40 seconds
- Weight – 42 lbs
- Dimensions – 9.8 x 14.7 x 16.7 inches
2. Nuova Simonelli Musica
- Feature packed powerhouse that combines beauty and...
- Feature packed powerhouse that combines beauty and...
- Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux Pour Over Espresso Machine. The...
- Automatic Espresso Dosing With the Nuova Simonelli Musica,...
A beautiful beast by Nuova Simonelli, it’s a perfect machine for the people with barista traits or one, who is just starting up his small business but wants everything to be top-notch. Nuova is a name known to professionals who have been into business. It might sound new to you if you are just leaning towards the café business thing.
This machine can be programmed for the sizes of Ristretto or other espresso drinks. The machine automatically stops brewing when the required amount has been dispensed. It has 1-cup, 2-cup, and continuous brew buttons which is a need at cafes.
We can also program the hot water dispensing the required amount via its easy to use panel. The hot water is always fresh heated and passes through flash-heating before being dispensed. All in all, a great package for people just starting up their professional café.
- Stainless steel casing
- Water reservoir – 3 liters
- Automatic espresso dosing
- TFT screen for easy use
- Hot water output
- 1-cup, 2-cup, and a continuous brew button
- High quality 58mm portafilter
- Cup warmer at the top
- Weight – 50.5 pounds
- Dimensions – 12.75 x 16.75 x 16 inches
3. La Pavoni Pub 1M R-1
- Commercial Espresso machine
- Direct water line hookup
- Fully portable for catering
- Hot water tap
La Pavoni is another brand that has a good name when talking about commercial espresso machines. It has a few of the best units that are loved by many high-end cafes. The model we are talking about is a Single group and can be a good fit where the daily capacity is around 150 cups. It has a 6.5-liter heat exchanger, which is enormous. The features are mostly manual for a professional barista, but the machine is very durable and of high capacity.
La Pavoni also excels in producing some of the best manual espresso machines and those too can be used at commercial places of interest. These look really attractive and reflect the authenticity of pulling espresso shots.
You might like: Best Manual Lever Espresso Machines
- Stainless steel construction
- Cup warmer at the top
- 5-liter heat exchanger
- 8 liter pour in the water tank
- Steam wand and hot water wand
- Origin Italy
- Weight – 80 pounds
- Dimensions – 21 x 15 x 22 inches
4. Nuova Simonelli Appia Volumetric – 2 Group Espresso Machine
The Appia is a big step up and a good choice among commercial machines for a busy restaurant with a sideline in coffee, or for a moderately busy café. This model features an 11-liter boiler capacity and an electric cup warmer. A heat exchanger allows you to brew shots and steam milk at the same time. We first thought of including the Nuova Oscar, but Appia is actually a better one for commercial use.
The Appia has two brew-heads that are able to accommodate tall glasses and two steam wands. This model is available in both semi-automatic (pressure is controlled, but barista manually controls the size of shot) and automatic-volumetric (pressure and shot quantity are both automated). The choice really comes down to personal preference and budget. If you need more capacity, then a Group 4 model is also available.
5. LaPavoni BAR-T 2V-B Commercial 2 Group
- Groups made with press-forged brass and chrome plated, with...
- Boiler in copper equipped with transversal heat exchangers...
- Independent radiator hydraulic system for every group
- Double scale gauge for pump and boiler pressure control
I know, the name sounds a bit longer and typical to remember, but this is how commercial machines are. La Pavoni is another name that is known for commercial espressos along with Nuova Simonelli. These two brands are pioneer in the industry from long ago and make highly durable machines which can withstand larger volumes.
If you’ve got hundreds of people stopping by for their morning coffee every day, you need a top-of-the-line commercial machine that can produce consistently high-quality shots quickly and efficiently. This model has 2 groups for larger capacity cafes and has enough sources so that 2 people can work simultaneously.
- 14 L boiler
- Electronic programmable dosing
- 4 cup size selection with continuous brewing mode
- 2 Groups for volume work
- Independent radiator hydraulic system
- Water softener included
- Single flexible hot water tap
- Weight – 130 lbs
- Dimensions – 27.5 x 20 x 20.5 inches
Commercial Espresso Machines For Low Volume
Now we will talk about small volume machines that are to be used in small cafes like those in a society where daily consumption is around 40-80 drinks. The machines listed here come under a small budget and are working well for many such cafes. These machines also compliment small restaurants where coffee is a small part of a mega foodie menu.
6. Breville Barista Express BES870XL
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third wave specialty...
- DOSE CONTROL GRINDING: Integrated precision conical burr...
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Low pressure pre-infusion gradually...
- PRECISE ESPRESSO EXTRACTION: Digital temperature control...
You might have already heard this name and it’s right; this machine is developed to stand for long. If you have sharp eyes, you might have already seen it in many small cafes around. This machine has been in this era for quite a long and has already served many. With some manual controls and some automated features, it’s a perfect balance to serve your customers the drink they desire. It has a manual steam wand to create the perfect texture, precise temperature control to extract a great tasting espresso, dose control, grind size dial, and much more. Moreover, it comes with a magnetic coffee tamper that sticks under the hood.
- Dose Control
- 1600W Power
- Precise temperature control
- Grind size dial
- Manual Steam wand
- Microfoam milk texturing
- Single or Double-shot settings
- Weight – 23 lbs
- Dimensions – 13.25 x 12.5 x 15.75 inches
7. Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
- Ergonomic porta filter handle same as the proven design of...
- Commercial grade group head for superb heat stability and...
- Articulating steam wand offers complete range of motion and...
- Classic linear design fits most decors
The next great competitor in commercial machines is the Rancilio Silvia. The brand has not introduced many models but has this one perfect serving for almost a decade. The people who owe this have already mastered many barista skills.
This machine can also be found in many cafes that have low to medium volume. What makes this machine unique is the simplicity and pro parts like perfect to handle steam wand knob, commercial grade group head for optimal brewing, and stainless steel panel. For budget-conscious people opening a small café in the corner will be happy with it. You can upgrade to a bigger machine when you see the volume growth, but for a start, it’s a perfect pick.
- Commercial grade group head
- Stainless steel panels
- Perfect steam wand with a professional steaming knob
- Less clutter of controls
- Ergonomic portafilter handle similar to expensive commercial machines
- Can be used with pods with an optional adapter kit
- Weight: 30.8 pounds
- Dimensions – 9.2 x 11.4 x 13.3 inches
8. DeLonghi La Specialista Espresso Machine
- Sensor grinding technology: Exclusive segsing technology...
- The smart tamping station: Simply pull the lever to tamp the...
- Active temperature control with dual heating system: The...
- Advanced latte system: Micro-foam frothing for Latte Art or...
Another boy in the town of espresso machine is by DeLonghi. The Specialista machine comes with some advanced features that lift up some manual efforts. It has a hands-free frothing wand with control on the wand itself for producing froth for latte or cappuccino.
The grinder has sensors to deliver consistent grind for optimal brew. It’s smart tamping technology reduces the mess and uses just a lever to tamp without even removing the portafilter.
This machine comes with dual heating mechanisms working independently for brewing espresso and frothing milk saving time. It also has a 1-second quick start feature so that your customers would not have to wait for long.
- Dual Heating system
- A smart tamping system with just a lever pull
- Precise grinding technology
- Advanced frother
- 1 touch quick start
- Hot water outlet
- Weight – 29.7 lbs
- Dimensions – 14.48 x 12.48 x 13.98 inches
9. Jura 15145 Super-Automatic
- ONE TOUCH: Prepare 12 barista quality specialties including...
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG3 grinder...
- ECO FRIENDLY: JURA is always freshly ground, not capsuled -...
- OFFICE USE: Perfect machine for your workplace - ideal for...
The next product in our considerations is Jura 15145, specially made for small offices and self serve coffee bars. Anyone can extract their favorite cup with a press of a button as it is a super-automatic espresso maker. The output will always be fresh as the grinder only grinds on demand.
Jura coffee machines are the precision product we all know. It’s a brand with everything perfect inside, there are no compromises and so, a little costly affair.
- The exclusive pulse extraction process for optimal extraction of espresso drinks
- 12 Different drinks at a touch of a button
- Conical burr grinder with Aromeg3 technology to grind the finest
- 101 oz water container
- 6 oz beans hopper
- Customizable water and ground beans in the drinks
- Completely programmable
- Large TFT display
- Weight – 22 pounds
- Dimensions – 17.5 x 11.6 x 16.5 inches
10. Jura XS90
- One touch cappuccino latte macchiato buttons, never move the...
- High-performance 15 bar pump
- Two thermo-block heating systems
- Six setting precision burr grinder with active bean level...
Our next unit is again by Jura, so yes, they make home espresso makers but can serve small cafes at the corner of the street of society where people are more for a small meet-up or gathering. XS90 comes with a dual thermo-block heating system that keeps the espresso process and frothing independent.
Thanks to the six-setting precision grinder, an impeccable blend of large and small grains is achieved. It is ultra-easy to use and the display enhances the convenience level that is already provided by Jura Impressa XS90 One Touch.
There is also an integrated cleaning and rinsing option that ensures the active life of this espresso machine. The reservoir can hold 1.5 L of water and it is big enough to give the first impression of a heavy-duty automatic machine.
This machine comes with dedicated switches to latte and cappuccino, so if these are in the volume demand, this machine might be a great pick. Don’t worry, it can also prepare 12 different types of drinks like most of the Jura’s.
Its grinder comes with 6 different settings for an optimum taste of your drinks. The machine also comes with a self-cleaning system that indicates when it needs to be done. To make it look less cluttered, few less frequently used buttons are concealed behind a flap.
- One-touch Cappuccino and latte buttons
- 15-gallon water tank
- 10 oz of coffee beans capacity
- 40 portions of ground beans capacity
- Display in red TFT with voice
- Rotary switch for easy operation
- Weight – 34 pounds
- Dimensions – 15.5 x 16 x 18.6 inches
Buying Guide – Commercial Espresso Machine
Before you make your final decision about your professional espresso maker for your restaurant or café, we thought you should take into consideration the following points. It will help you decide with more precision as to why to buy something and why to leave.
Semi-Automatic or Super-Automatic
The machine type is going to define your purpose. A semi-automatic espresso maker requires some skills and effort to prepare a drink whereas, with a Super-automatic, you just need to press a button to get the work done. In a semi-auto machine, due to manual process, one can customize the variables of drinks accordingly whereas, in a super-auto, it can’t be done as everything is preset.
The other face of this variation is, you need to have trained staff to prepare the drinks via a semi-auto, whereas for a super-automatic, any novice can make the drink with a press of a button.
How Many Cups a Day – The Volume
The best way to start narrowing down your choice among the commercial coffee machines is to consider how much use the machine will get. First of all, think about, how many shots will you be pulling in an hour? Calculate this for the busiest hour in the day: if 90 percent of your coffee is sold during the morning rush, you still need a robust machine that can keep up with that rush even if the rest of your day is typically slow.
If you expect a moderate rush in the whole day, you can go with a budget machine!
Types of Coffee Drinks To be Made
Match up with the features of the machine to the required types of coffee drinks you have in your menu. You have to think before as would you be able to serve these drinks or not with a particular machine. Not deciding this prior might result in the shortening of your menu.
Another most important factor is the Budget. Decide it at first so that you don’t climb high while making your choice ruining the whole setup. If you spend your entire budget on the machine and have nothing left for the café, things might get imbalanced.
- How are commercial espresso machines different from domestic ones?
The first thing, commercial machines can produce high volumes continuously. The second thing, they can withstand temperatures after a higher number of shots. The third thing, the brew groups are more stable in maintaining temperatures which is a key part of brewing espresso. Domestic machines can give a good start but when used for long, can become uneven. Fourth, and my last, commercial coffee machines are more programmable so that drinks can be fine-tuned accordingly. Every shop has its own preference and so, it's a required thing.
- What brand espresso machine does Starbucks uses?
Starbucks is very popular and that's why this question is asked many times. The brand uses espresso machines by the brand Mastrena. Their brand is from Switzerland by Thermoplan AG and makes machines exclusively for Starbucks.
- Does Starbucks sell espresso machines?
As of now while writing this, the Starbucks only sells coffee and espresso beverages. There are some accessories like coffee mugs, beans etc, but not coffee machines.
- How long does a commercial coffee machine lasts?
This question is not one-sided and cannot be answered properly as there are many parameters to it. A large answer would be anything between 1-10 years but could be even more. It all depends on usage and maintenance.
So the above were all the best commercial espresso machines serving a lot of successful cafes today. You can consider a super-automatic if you don’t like to get much involved in manual brewing. These machines will do most of the work automatically and the only work of serving the drinks will be left for you.
But if you like to serve drinks that your are in full control off, a semi-automatic would be a perfect fit!