The Gaggia Classic Coffee Machine is the veteran of home coffee espresso machines, as it is one of the oldest continually available units. It is the benchmark by which all other home coffee espresso machines are measured, and we’d love to find out why it has that honourable distinction!
This Gaggia Classic Espresso Machine is a manual espresso that is considered to be a “pro-sumer” unit, meaning it’s a professional grade machine built for the ordinary home consumer. It is both an espresso maker and coffee maker, and the manufacturers claim it as the most successful home coffee espresso machine ever made. That is a very ambitious statement, so naturally we had to put it to the test and see whether the Gaggia Classic Coffee Maker will really perform as well as advertised.
• Stainless steel body
• Chromed brass filter holder and ring
• Rotating Panarello frother and hot water dispenser
• Solenoid valve for even shower through the coffee grounds
• Precise pressurisation
• 1300 watt usage
• 15 bar pump
• 2.1 litre removable water tank
• Equipped with filters for 1 and 2 cups of ground coffee
• Special filter for espresso pods
• Special crema perfetta filter basket
• Active cup warmer
• Ships with tamper and a measuring spoon
• Dimensions: 24 x 23 x 38 centimetres
• Weight: 9 kilograms
• The design is sleek and simple, yet quite elegant. It will look great sitting on top of your kitchen counter.
• It is very easy to use. Even a total beginner can make great coffee and espresso by simply following the instructions that accompany the machine!
• Its brass components along with the 15 bar pressuriser ensure you get consistent coffee temperature every time you brew a cup of coffee or pull a shot of espresso. This is essential for creating great espresso with perfect crema.
• The large water reservoir saves you from having to remove and refill too often.
• It comes with crema device that will deliver thick tasty crema to go along with your espresso.
• The turbo frother will generate super thick and foamy froth for making your favourite milk-based coffee drinks. It works very quickly and will only take a few seconds to transform your milk into beautiful froth.
• It is very quiet compared to other similar coffee machines. It makes minimal noise while operating, so you won’t wake up the whole house while making your morning coffee or espresso.
• The machine takes a long while to warm up before it is ready to make your coffee beverages.
• Assembly can be tricky if you are not technical-minded.
• Clean up is time-consuming and cumbersome with this machine. You will have to detach several parts to clean and also invest in proper cleaning solutions to get it done right.
• The nozzle of the frothing wand is quite low so you might have a little trouble fitting your cup underneath it.
• The tamper is made of plastic and feels quite flimsy. This suggests that it might not retain functionality for very long.
We can see why the Gaggia Classic coffee machine has been a popular choice amongst coffee and espresso lovers for so many years. It is sturdy, reliable and consistently delivers impressive coffee drinks and thick foamy milk froth that will keep your family and friends hanging around your kitchen for more of your coffee creations! (If you don’t like anyone to hang around, simply make a bad cup of coffee for them)
What is most impressive, is how easily it can be used, considering it is a manual espresso machine. Often times manual machines have a steep learning curve for the novice home-barista, but this is not the case with the Gaggia Classic. Learning to use it is not very complicated, and you will be making fantastic espresso and coffee faster than you expect.
As always, maintain it, clean it and this coffee machine will keep producing excellent cups of coffee and espresso for many years. It is said to last for up to 10 years once properly maintained, so be sure to treat it right and it will treat you right too! For best results, invest in a high-quality coffee grinder, use only the finest available coffee beans and consider buying a good metal tamper.
All in all, it is a highly effective coffee machine, and we whole-heartedly recommend it for your home if you desire high-quality espresso with wonderful crema and rich, flavorful coffee beverages. Do also have a look on the Gaggia Accademia Super Automatic Espresso Machine as it is also an excellent product from the brand.
We rate the Gaggia Classic Coffee maker an impressive 4.5 out of 5 stars as it is worth the money and the functions it delivers are amazing at such cost.
Do you plan on purchasing a Gaggia Classic coffee machine? Or are you a long-time owner? Do share your experience in brewing coffee and pulling espresso shots and leave your comments below. Be sure to mention your experience with the frothing feature. We want to hear from you!
See larger image