Learn to make your cold brew. Learn to make your day!
For a coffee aficionado, any bad day with a cup of coffee is better than a good day without one! And when it comes to coffee, cold brew coffee has a place of its own among all the super energizing & delicious coffee types, not only due to the unique way in which it is made but also because of the great many benefits it possesses.
To start our journey in the not-so-mysterious land of cold brew coffee, first let us understand the real meaning of this peculiar type of coffee.
Cold Brew Coffee: What Exactly Is It?
Mostly confused and used interchangeably with iced coffee, be informed, although being cold, it is far from being similar to the iced coffee. Cold brew coffee is brewed over longer durations (5 to 24 hours) and there is no heat involved in the methods of preparing one. It is made by brewing coffee grounds (slightly coarser than normal) with cold water or room temperature water for longer duration of time, be it with any method (Cold drip and immersion method).
It’s variant Nitro coffee, which is turning lots of heads, is a cold brew coffee which is infused with nitrogen gas. It is served from a tap on the beer keg. This makes it creamier and sweeter in flavor. However, one thing is of prime importance that nitro coffee is never mixed with milk, cream or sugar; simply because there is no need for these ingredients. It is already creamy and sweet in texture and taste.
Best thing about cold brew is the time it takes to prepare in comparison with other coffee types. Longer amount of natural brewing and no involvement of heat reduces the amount of acids from the final extract and makes it a healthier drink. This is one of the most important reason it is gaining traction among the coffee drinkers all over the world.
The growth in the numbers of cold brew drinkers can be understood by the fact that the global Cold brew coffee market size was valued at USD 339.7 million in 2018 and is expected to grow at CAGR of 25.1% from 2019 to 2025, according to a report by Grand View Research, Inc. This is highlighted by the growth in the distribution channels in USA by the graph below as well.
Understanding all the above trends, one might ask what all the reasons behind the booming shift towards this peculiar type of coffee are? Let us look at the detailed answer to this brewing question.
Why to Brew a Cold Brew Coffee?
The benefits which entail the easiest preparation method are a huge draw for the caffeine-lovers all over the world.
- Bring on the caffeine: – Due to the long duration of steeping time required to prepare cold brew coffee, extraction of caffeine from the coffee beans is of high amount. The coffee-to-water ratio of cold brew is to be approximately 1:60, in comparison to the usual drip coffee ratio of 1:20. However, the concentration is less by addition of milk, cream or water among other things. Also, the concentration depends upon the coffee beans used and the time of steeping.
Therefore, it is bound to give a good caffeine kick but not necessarily make a person jittery for a longer period of time. Cold brew coffee in the longer run, helps increase cognitive function and improve motor skills of a person.
- Flav is Fab: – When cold brew is compared to iced coffee, due to large extraction of oils and essential ingredients from coffee beans, cold brew reduces the bitterness of the beans and provides the sweeter chocolaty after-taste to the coffee. Also, it is void of the awful watery feeling that iced coffee has and provides tongue a creamy feeling to enjoy.
- Boosts weight loss: – It is known to help people attain their weight loss goals in an efficient manner. With cold brew or it’s variant nitro coffee, after-burn effect is enhanced due to the high amount of caffeine in the coffee. After-burn effect is nothing but a term used to describe the body’s ability to continue losing calories after exercise. Similar effect is observed with usual coffee but with high amount of caffeine in cold brew and nitro coffee, it cuts lots of unwanted weight. This high after-burn effect of cold brew coffee makes it a good pre-workout drink as well.
Apart from this, due to the sweeter flavor of cold brew coffee, people generally reduce the usage of sugar and cream with the coffee. Approximately, people consume 70 calories per cup of coffee. Cold brew coffee lowers their intake of sugar, which itself reduces the risk of obesity.
How to make a Cold Brew Coffee?
The easier process of making cold brew coffee is immensely talked about everywhere and has been considered as a great benefit of this coffee. Most important benefit of this coffee is the smaller number of required things that goes into making it, reducing hassles, so that even a novice can prepare and enjoy it truly.
Solubility is one of the most important factors while preparing a cold brew. Temperature is key to extraction of flavor from the beans. Hot water makes it easier to extract flavor quickly, however in cold brew, as the name suggest cold water or room temperature water is used. Therefore, large amount of time is needed. This actually becomes a blessing in disguise for the coffee.
Also, oxidation can lead to absorption of different flavors by the coffee, therefore, cold brew coffee is best made in a jar with a lid. In the light of all this information, let us look at the two most widely used techniques to prepare cold brew coffee.
1. Cold Brew Coffee by- Immersion Technique
This is the easiest type of brewing method for cold brew coffee. In this method, right amount of ratio between coffee grounds and water is of utmost importance.
Generally, 4:1 ratio between water and coffee is preferred. However, in some recipes it is stretched out to 10:1 ratio as well. Adding water to dilute the mixture when coffee is found to be strong is the right remedy afterwards.
Apart from this coffee grounds are also needed to be coarsely grinded. As, the finer coffee grounds (used in espresso) results in cloudy coffee.
- 1 cup of coarsely grinded coffee
- 4 cups of water
- 2 containers (with or without lid) and;
- some coffee filters or some cheesecloth’s
- Place coffee grounds in the glass or plastic container and pour water in it following the given ratio of 4:1.
- Fill the container completely and cover the container with the lid or a cloth tightly, so that chances of oxidation can be largely reduced.
- Let the coffee steep for 12 hours or more.
- Pour the concentrate in another container by using the French press if it is used or by simply pouring it through sieve covered with a cheesecloth. This will filter out coffee grounds.
- Ice along with other flavors can be added to the coffee before enjoying it.
To cut the amount of time needed to brew in this manner, French press mentioned above, is used by several coffee masters. Apart from this, several cold coffee brewers like Todd Simpson’s Toddy T2N Cold Brew System are already present in the market. These brewers make it easier to prepare coffee in less time, without compromising on taste.
2. Cold Brew Coffee by- Cold Drip Method
This method needs elaborate set of cold-drip device which adds water to the grounds slowly. The device is divided into 3 levels:
- On the topmost level ice and water is placed
- Middle levels hold the coarsely grounded coffee
- The third and the bottom layer is used to collect the brewed coffee
Water drips from the topmost layer onto the coffee grounds in the middle layer, gradually getting collected in the bottom chamber. This whole method requires approximately 5-10 hours, however the taste of the coffee from cold drip system is slightly different from the immersion method.
There are several devices in the market which make use of this method OXO Good grips cold brew coffee maker is one such type of device. It is unique because it uses its perforated rainmaker system to evenly distribute water over coffee. This allows for optimal flavor extraction.
Some Facts About Cold Brew Coffee
- Acidity is not an issue with cold brew: – As no heat is involved and steeping duration is long in brewing process, end result is less acidic. Cold brew coffee is 67% less acidic than a hot-brewed coffee. This makes it better alternative for those with sensitive stomachs. Coffee aficionados with acid reflux and IBS can enjoy cold brew with their doctor’s approval, as it is better tolerated by their digestive system.
- High on Antioxidants: – Coffee is known all over to have medicinal qualities. It is due to the abundance of antioxidants that it possesses. These antioxidants are known to increase insulin activity and fight Type 2 diabetes, also it reduces the risk of cancer by fighting free radicals in the body. Apart from these benefits, it also decreases the risk of dementia and has fat burning capabilities. These things help increase the length of life.
- Easier making process: – Process of making a cold brew is hassles-free and can be completed even by a person who doesn’t know a word about brewing. It has a Set & Forget super low maintenance brewing process and requires very few items to complete the process. Things like mason jar, coffee grounds, water and a filtration method are required, along with passion for coffee.
- Better shelf-life: – When it comes to shelf life, hot coffee is no match for a cold brew coffee. Hot coffee goes bad in couple of days, however cold brew can last a week in a refrigerator. Cold brew is able to give the coffee connoisseur a hard time in judging the difference between a freshly prepared coffee and the one kept in a refrigerator for more than 3 days.
These benefits make the cold brew coffee an irresistible choice for the coffee lovers and are apt reasons to showcase the shift of larger number of people towards this peculiar coffee.
Like traditional coffee, cold brew coffee does not have a certain origin. Some consider that it was introduced by ancient Peruvian process and some consider it to be introduced by Dutch traders of Indonesia to Japan in 1600s. Whatsoever, this drink has revolutionized the coffee world with its benefits and easier process. Now with modern technology being used in the process of production of cold brew coffee, it is certain that the efficient methods of making cold brew coffee that will cut the costs will be developed and this will make it a commonplace drink.
This article has been written by the team of Grand View Research, Inc., a U.S. based company specializing in global strategic business reports, while also providing actionable insights. The company offers syndicated as well as customized research reports, along with consulting services. It assists businesses in making informed decisions on cold brew coffee market through relevant and fact-based market intelligence reports.