Since its discovery, the fascination with coffee has only grown in our world. Every few months, a ‘new’ someone sitting in a tiny corner of the world will decide to experiment and come up with a ‘new’ something that fascinates and overtakes the coffee industry. For now, we will tell you about some of the most amazing latte machines in this article and how you buy it.
From espressos, americanos, macchiatos, and cappuccinos, to breves, black eyes, and cortados. The taste and type of coffee consumed around the world has always been evolving.
And then there is of course a name that has held on through the ages, a name that is almost synonymous with coffee itself today – The Latte.
Why use a Latte machine?
With cafés littering the streets in every nook, there is no shortage of supply of your favourite beverages. There is however a different kind of joy that comes from taking the hands on approach towards creating your own cup of daily goodness.
Apart from the obvious savings that your bank balance is going to reflect, using a latte machine at home also provides a more sustainable option to quenching your coffee cravings, anytime you want at the comfort of your home.
Also, note that a latte machine will also make you cappuccinos and other specialty beverages. So, you are not only buying a latte maker, but rather a small barista at home. A latte machine is basically an advanced form of espresso coffee maker that has some added features to brew specialty drinks easily and comfortably.
Latte Vs Cappuccino Vs Espresso
Figuring out the cup of coffee that sits just right for you, the one that makes your day just a little bit better; It can be a personal process.
Caffeine afficinadoes have experimented with everything from the ingredients that go into the drink, or the order in which they enter the cup to the temperatures they are best enjoyed at.
There are of course the three top contenders that hit everyone’s list. Espresso shots, which is basically just highly concentrated coffee, often considered as a wake me up to jolt us into morning productivity.
When it comes to discriminating between the next two contenders, a cappuccino and a latte things get a little more tricky. While they both begin with a shot of espresso, the main distinction between them is the ratio of steamed milk to foam milk. While a cappuccino has equal quantities of all three ingredients, the latter favors a greater quantity of steamed milk with only a thin layer of foam at the top.
Alright now, a lot of knowledge is gained, now lets head to the equipment part.
Best Latte Machines – Our Favorite Picks
We understand that being spoiled for choice can be both a good or bad thing. We also understand that a coffee machine is often an investment, in most households. And so we’ve tried to provide a comprehensive list of who we consider the strongest competitors that should hopefully help you make your decision.
1. Keurig K-cafe
Standing sharp at the top of our list is the K-Cafe Coffee Maker from the Keurig family.
As the name suggests, the machine works off K-cup pods allowing you to brew steaming or chilled cappuccinos and creamy lattes.
The machine allows you to pick between six different brew settings. Water storage can hold up to sixty ounces which means you don’t need to go refilling it after each cup you brew. This machine also comes with a programmable auto turn off feature that activates two hours after you finish brewing your final cup.
- Cleaning up is no one’s favorite thing to do. Luckily when it comes to the Keurig K-Cafe, the task is relatively easy. Everything including the K- cup holder, milk frother, and drip tray are dishwasher friendly.
- K-cafe espresso maker comes in a feasible budget of under $200.
- COFFEE, LATTES & CAPPUCCINOS: Use any K-Cup...
- SIMPLE BUTTON CONTROLS: Just insert any K-Cup...
- LARGE 60oz WATER RESERVOIR: Allows you to...
- The honest fact is there are other machines like the Nespresso that would get a better-tasting morning cup, however, those might make a bigger dent in your wallet.
- Unlike a few others on this list, this machine does not come with temperature control.
- In case you don’t have the space to spare, take note of the size of the machine. The measurements can be a turn off for some.
2. Nespresso Lattissima Plus EN520SL
One of the more affordable options coming out from the Nespresso family, the Nespresso Lattissima Plus uses a 19 bars pressure system to offer you a range of caffeinated beverages including espressos, cappuccinos, macchiatos, long coffees, and of course lattes.
The machine allows you to customize the milk froth to water ratio that works best for you and can be programmed to remember to brew it that exact way every single day. It comes with a sliding drip tray that allows you to accommodate for carrying cup sizes.
- With the press of one simple button, the machine will self-clean, taking away the daily chore from your to-do list. When the time seems right, you can even choose to place the removable parts into the dishwasher for a more thorough wash.
- The auto shut off function is customizable to your needs.
- Removable dip tray is present
- Included Components: Espresso Machine
- Unfortunately, the machine can only operate on Nespresso capsules, which doesn’t leave much room for experimentation in your daily creations.
- There have been reports that the spout of the machine at times leaks water for upto ten seconds after the coffee was extracted.
Here is a complete review of Delonghi Lattissima Plus if you are interested.
3. Nespresso Creatista Plus
The next machine on our list is the result of a partnership between Breville and Nespresso resulting in a sharp, sleek and smart machine providing barista quality Macchiatos, Cappuccinos and Lattes.
The thermo jet element in the Creatista Plus allows it to heat up in the span of three seconds. The milk frother can work on upto eight different milk textures and eleven temperatures. The machine also comes with a container for frothing milk and a box of Nespresso capsules.
- The water container can hold up to 1.5 liters which means you won’t have to worry about refilling it too often
- Working towards being environmentally aware, the machine with power off ten minutes after it has finished its work
- If you’ve ever been in awe or envy of the creative art baristas have created on your lattes, the unique milk frother allows you a chance to try your hand at just that
- SINGLE SERVE COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MACHINE: The...
- BARISTA GRADE: Brew different single serve...
- SMART COFFEE AND ESPRESSO MAKER: Brew a...
- There isn’t any real indicator that alerts users to when the water is low so don’t forget to keep your eye on it
- While the machine does pack a punch, we cannot ignore the fact that it also has quite a hard hit on your wallet
4. Breville Barista Express BES870XL
You’re guaranteed to bring out the professional barista hidden within when operating the semi-automatic Breville Barista Express BES870XL. The machine enters as the brand ambassador for value for money on our list.
The machine has a conical burr grinder that is easy to remove, refill, and clean. You can choose the size of the grind you want and grind the perfect amount of beans directly into the portafilter providing the freshest product possible.
The clean-me light on the machine alerts you to when the machine is in need of a cleanse and a floaty that lets you know when the drip tray is full to avoid spillage on your countertop. The machine is accompanied by two single and two double-walled filter baskets both of pressurized and non-pressurized variety.
- The machine can store upto two liters of water at a time
- The 360-degree steam gives you complete control over frothing your milk
- If at any point you feel intimidated or confused by the machine and its functions, the Breville technical support team is waiting and willing to help you navigate your way to your perfect cup
- The Breville Barista Express delivers third...
- Dose Control Grinding: Integrated precision...
- Optimal Water Pressure: Low pressure...
- If you’re looking for a quick and easy fix for your morning caffeine craving at the end of a single button. This machine is not for you
- The breadth of the machine does result in it taking up some space on your countertop
5. Saeco Incanto carafe Super Automatic
We’re almost halfway through already so let’s introduce you to the chick super-automatic Saeco Incanto carafe espresso machine that can brew anything from a Cappuccino, Latte, Espresso, or Macchiato, to an Espresso Lungo or some plain old Hot Water, and Milk Froth at the press of a button.
The ceramic grinders used in the machine ensure that there is no taste of burnt coffee beans interfering with the flavor of your drink. The integrated milk carafe comes with a frother that does its work twice to ensure the result is extra creamy and free of any impurities. The memo feature in the machine remembers just how you like your favorite drink so you don’t have to make adjustments every time you brew.
- The machine also offers the powder option that allows you to enjoy a decaffeinated beverage whenever you are in the mood for it
- The brew unit can be removed from the machine easily and placed in the dishwasher to clean
- Elegant design, Best materials, and high...
- Brew each Coffee as you like it, and save...
- Professional Disc grinder made of 100%...
- There have been a few complaints about the loudness of the machine when it is run.
This is one of the best Saeco espresso machines that sell like hot-dogs. You can easily spot this machine at many small office places, homes, or small commercial spaces. It’s a favorite of many and you can ask about it wherever you can spot it.
6. Philips 3200 Series
Coming in close to the halfway mark on our list, the fully automated Philips 3200 comes with a my coffee choice menu that offers you the freedom to experiment with everything from the amount of milk and quantity of froth in that milk in your drink, to the temperature it will stand at, size of the coffee and strength of the aroma.
The machine has an aqua-clean filter which you will need to change when alerted. This ensures descaling, an otherwise tiresome will not be a point of bother till roughly five thousand cups of coffee later. The ceramic grinders allow you to choose between twelve levels of how coarse or fine you want your coffee to be.
It is advisable to read the installation manual well before you begin brewing to avoid any unnecessary complications.
- The highlight of the machine is without a doubt the LatteGo milk system. A feature inspired by a cars’ carburetor that provides steaming milk without the mess that usually accompanies a milk frother
- The touch sensitive buttons receive a mixed response with a few preferring something to press
- Don’t be fooled by the sleek finish, when placed on a weighing scale, the machine weighs in at nine and a half kilos which can make it a hassle to move for some
7. Saeco PicoBaristo
You’re going to be spoiled for choice, courtesy the next machine on our list. The super automatic Saeco PicoBaristo provides upto fifteen choices of caffeinated delightful drinks to pick from in three temperature choices and upto five brew strengths.
The AquaClean filter ensures impurities from the water to not interfere with the taste of your drink. The ceramic grinder can be customized to up to ten levels depending on your preference for fine or coarse powder. You do not have to worry about the grinders maintenance till you’re through with twenty thousand cups. The carafe that holds the milk can be removed and stored should the need arise.
- The memo function allows you to save the details of the cup that is just right for you so you don’t have to make the choices and selections every day
- The pain of cleaning the milk section is taken off your hands with the hygiesteam function that sanitises the spout and milk tubes with steam with the press of the quick clean button
- The machine alerts you to when it requires more beans or water
- The largest variety from a compact machine:...
- Enjoy up to 5, 000 cups of Coffee without...
- Delicious hot cappuccino and latte macchiato...
- The machine does stand on the higher end of the pay scale
- Don’t be fooled by the sleek design, the machine does take up quite a bit of room on your countertop
8. Gaggia Babila
Next in line we have this classic creation from the Gaggia universe. With something for everyone in the family, the Gaggia RI9700/64 Babila allows you to program and prepare upto eight caffeinated beverages on their easy to read display simply with the press of a button.
The machine even allows you the freedom to regulate the flow of water on the coffee grounds with a dial on the brew spout. On purchasing the machine, you’ll also find yourself with a coffee scoop, a water hardness test strip, a tube of brew group lubricant with a brew group brush, a bottle of gaggia descaler and an AquaClean Water Filter.
- The two most tedious tasks, cleaning and maintenance are taken off your worry list with this machine with automatic cleaning cycles of each part of the machine that can be activated through the settings menu. The carafe comes with a German quality certificate and the aqua clean filters survive a minimum of five thousand cups of coffee
- The milk wand provided for frothing, can also be used manually if that is what you are more comfortable with
- One touch brewing and frothing: bean-to-cup...
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED: 1 bottle of Gaggia...
- PROGRAMMABLE: 8 Programmable brewing options...
- There’s no hiding from it, the machine is heavy on both the weighing scale and the wallet
9. Espresso Works 10 Pc All In One
This late entrant on our list comes with everything you could possibly need to your own little coffee shop at home. The Espresso Works 10 Pc All In One machine has a 19 BAR Pump Pressure System extracting the most out of the coffee into your daily drink.
The machine comes with cappuccino and espresso cups, a portafilter with single and double shot baskets, a tamper, a coffee grinder, a spoon. The built-in milk frother has an adjustable knob to make the process easier. The container can be detached and used to store excess milk in the fridge. The water compartment can hold up to one point four liters at a time. The machine also has four preset drink selections that are at your disposal to the press of a button as is both a latte maker and a cappuccino maker.
- If you’ve always been fascinated with the artwork baristas create on your foam and are tempted to try it for yourself, the machine also comes with a 16-piece stencil set so you can go creatively crazy
- There are no additional costs required on top of this one purchase
- ✅ Includes: 19 Bar Pump Espresso,...
- ✅ ESPRESSO MAKER ALL IN ONE SET - Easy to...
- ✅ LATTE MACHINE WITH MILK FROTHER -...
- There have been a few quality complaints with people noticing the water and milk storage leaking from a bottom
10. Mr. Coffee One-Touch
The Mr Coffee One Touch enters our list next claiming to be a one stop shop for all your Latte, cappuccino, and espresso needs offering the choice between single and double shot espresso in each beverage.
The machine has a nineteen bar pump to extract the most flavor from your coffee and comes with two baskets, a coffee scoop, a portafilter, and a tamper. The built-in frother works on all types of milk including whole, skim, semi-skim almond, and soy milk to provide you with the creamy goddesses. The machine even boasts of a Thermocouple heating system which helps in ensuring the water for your drinks is heated quickly and evenly to provide the best end product.
Living up to its on touch name, the machine also has a one touch button that activates the self cleaning function.
- The machine comes with a recipe book that offers the adventurous amongst you a chance to experiment
- If you accidentally pour out more milk than you plan to use for your drink, you can remove the container and store it in the fridge for later use
- 19 Bar Italian pump delivers ideal pressure...
- Easy 1 button interface takes the guesswork...
- Select single or double shots of espresso...
- It is important to look after the maintenance of the machine if not kept in a good condition, you could face issues with the frothing knob and cleaning can become a tedious affair
11. Breville ESP8Xl Cafe Roma
Coming in as the last entrant on our list, the Breville ESP8Xl Cafe Roma is considered the beginners guide to making barista style coffee at home stands.
Delivering 15-bars of espresso, this chique machine also has a dual water filtration process that ensures no chemicals or other impurities interfere with the taste of your daily cup. The machine rates are high on value for money. It even comes with a stainless steel container for frothing milk and a measuring spoon.
- The machine alerts users to when the drip tray is full, a useful feature to help keep your countertop clean
- The machine can use both coffee grounds as well as capsules offering up more options to creating your morning cup
- Stainless-steel espresso machine with 15-bar...
- Dual-wall filter system for excellent crema;...
- Accesories: Stainless steel frothing pitcher...
- While the machine ticks all the boxes without making too big a dent in your wallet, we have to admit the others on the list can offer you a better tasting product for a higher price
- Unfortunately the machine does not come with adjustable parts and cannot make room for a large sized mug
Buying Guide – How To Buy A Latte Machine
Below you will find some important points to consider when planning to buy a latte machine for home. It will definitely help you in taking the right decision.
What makes an Espresso machine a Latte Maker
It’s white, creamy and it adds a layer of comfort to your caffeinated beverage. What’s a good latte, without some delicious foam? While you could opt for a machine that automatically froths the milk for you, there are a few that give you complete control over the act.
Frothing milk for your drink is no easy task. You need to get the angle just right. So be sure that if the task is left in your hands, the frother in the machine is flexible.
If you’ve got a habit of taking too much milk, look for a machine that allows you to remove the container and store the milk for later use.
Semi Automatic or Super Automatic
It all comes down to how much control you are willing to hand over to the machine? Are you someone who likes to get their hands dirty ? Do you like to imagine yourself as a barista creating works of art ? Do like being involved in the process of mixing and creating your morning beverage everyday? A semi automatic for example will bring forth the need for you to learn how to use a steam wand for frothing the milk.
Or, do you prefer to press a button and let the machine do everything for you?
Just ask yourself how involved you wish to be in the whole process. Super-automatic machines are primarily designed for convenience. If you like your cup of caffeine a particular way every single day, it would be a smart call to place your bet on a super-automatic.
The amount of water the machine can hold becomes of import when you have to consider how many cups of caffeinated drinks are going to be made at a time or in a day. Look for machines that come with water reservoirs that are easy to fill clean and remove.
Cleaning and Maintenance
The least favorite part of creating anything has always been cleaning up afterward. Luckily, there are some machines in this list that do at least part of that job for you with the press of a button. The others make the process relatively easy. It is important to understand the efforts you are required to put in before making a purchase. Look for a machine that demands minimum maintenance efforts and costs.
Ease of Use
Be weary of anything offering too many bells and whistles. While the thought of having to go through a whole creative performance to get your morning cup of coffee might seem like an exciting thought at first; It can get exhausting going through the spectacle every single day.
One of the main reasons you might have decided on getting yourself a latte machine at home would probably be to save money on your daily visits to the local barista. So don’t forget to take special notice of the value you are getting for the money you invest. Remember to add in any additional costs you might have to incur in the daily running and maintenance of the machine.
Hopefully by the time you reach the end of this writeup we’ve managed to provide a little clarity and a couple of choices that would help you make an informed decision on what suits your household best. With a little practice, experimenting with any of the machines in this list, we’re sure the coffee at your home will taste better than a barista satisfying even the biggest Latteholic amongst you.