Turkish coffee is a cultural inheritance, and the durability of the Turkish pot is an absolute clear testament of how a legacy of culture is taken forward. Each time you sip into this culturally-infused coffee, it goes beyond its strong yet soft taste. A range of memories delve in each pot which you want to simply pack and bring back home.
What is Turkish Coffee?
As an aromatic pot of Turkish coffee was served to the Sultan by his dedicated coffee brewers, this coffee became an important part of the Ottoman Court. It grew to become an indispensable part of marriage customs as women in the harem were taught how to brew this perfect cup of Joe. The bride-to-be served it to prospects in a Fincan (Turkish coffee cup). Well, it seems a lot brewed over coffee then too!
A mysticism came to be associated with these coffee beans as the Turkish coffee cup-reading, a popular fortune-telling method was unveiled. Once the drinker has savored this brew, the Falci (fortune teller) was ready to read your fortune by the shape left on the sides of the cup. You too can try to read your cup! Widely found in countries like Turkey, Greece, and Cyprus, this is one of the oldest brewing, if not the oldest method of preparing finely ground unfiltered coffee. It is mostly made in a ‘cezve’, also sometimes called an ‘ibrik’, a long-handled pot which is made out of brass or copper. A brass grinder helps achieve almost as fine as caster sugar powder consistency. People relish this brew in small cups once the powder has completely sunk to the bottom.
If you have someone close to coffee, it is a perfect precious gift.
How To Make Coffee In Turkish Pot – Simple Steps
Tune into some middle eastern music to experience the preparation of this brew to the fullest!
- Take your cezve (tiny pot). The crucial element in this pot is its flared sides which help catch the coffee grounds.
- Add room temperature water to it_ about 50 milliliters (1.7 oz) per cup of coffee. This amount can be altered based on your taste palette which can be gauged in the course of time.
- Add sugar: preferably half, or one tablespoon.
- Place the cezve onto the heat, and stir it a little after the first minute.
- Bring to a boil. This can take roughly between 2- 2.5 minutes. Remove it from heat.
- Add a teaspoon of fine ground coffee per cup.
- Boil the coffee now.
- After the first boil, immediately remove the pot from heat.
- You’ll need to wait for a bit for the remaining powder to settle before serving.
For the ones who like it steamy and foamy, pick a cup that can hold the foam intact. Straight rectangular structured cups help retain the foam well.
Best Turkish Coffee Pots – Our Favorite Picks
Drinking this legacy is art. To make sure your coffee is truly divine each morning, you need to invest in the right Turkish pot. As you read further, you’ll understand why do we approach purchasing a Turkish pot as an ‘investment’. The precise amount of coffee powder and brewing time in the right pot is the recipe for this divine drink.
It can be challenging to pick from a kaleidoscope of pots, so let us begin to share our favorite pots’ reviews with you.
1. CopperBull Thickest Turkish-Greek Arabic Coffee Pot
This copper pot speaks the mind of an artisan. Standing high on workmanship, this is an authentic piece which super thick. It’s absolutely hand engraved. As it is crafted from copper, it’s an efficient guard against rust woes. Being a gorgeous pick to host a coffee for guests, this pot can brew up to 5 cups at a time.
The wooden handle prevents one from getting burned. Many of these pots also come along with a wooden pot spoon as a token, which of course makes it easier to stir.
- Thickest Engraved Copper Turkish Coffee Pot....
- Completely Hand Made and Engraved in Turkey...
- Copper Thickness : 2mm Capacity: 15Oz (5-6...
What we liked
- Authentic & engraved work of art
- Spacious in Size
- Durable wooden handle
2. CopperBull Thickest Solid Hammered Copper Coffee Pot
Here is another option to explore which is simpler and sober on design, but can last long with its durable material. Given its sturdy quality, one can rely on this one to last for the years to come. It has 2 mm copper thickness and can serve 5 cups in one preparation. The wooden handle is tin lined and quite a breeze to get a grip on. It of course scores high on ‘neat’ aesthetics even though it’s quite sober-looking compared to the one on top.
- Thickest Hammered Copper Turkish Coffee Pot.
- Hand Made in Turkey.
- You can be assured this will last for many...
What we liked
- Boasts a neat design
- Great and secure handle grip
3. HIC Stainless Turkish Pot Warmer
This doesn’t go by the traditional cezve which has a typical wide base and narrow top structure. This Turkish Coffee Warmer and Butter Melting Pot is quite an unorthodox choice but does work with ease. Although the handle is half SS and half ABS plastic. It is heat resistant and provides a great grip.
This pot can make up to 5 Turkish cups at once. It can also be used to warm gravies, melt butter, and sauces. It ranks low on maintenance and can be put into the sink in a topsy turvy fashion as well. Rest assured, it isn’t breaking.
- HIC’s Turkish Coffee Warmer and Butter...
- Heat resistant handle is contoured for a nice...
- Use for preparing Turkish coffee, warming...
What we liked
- Easy to wash and maintain
- Low maintenance for the rough and tough coffee-makers
- Multipurpose value as it can be used to melt/heat other food items as well
4. Cuisinox Stainless Steel Turkish Cezve Pot
Once you’d like to explore more pot options in the SS space, this is another find. Ranking high on its sturdiness, this can be rinsed in a dishwasher as well. It holds a capacity of up to 355 ml. However, if you are looking to evoke traditional vibes, this may not do complete justice.
- 12 oz/ 355 ml
- 18/10 stainless steel
- Dishwasher safe
What we liked
- Dishwasher safe. Not susceptible to corrode.
- Durable handle
- Easy to pour
5. Handmade Armenian Coffee Pot
This is definitely a gorgeous addition to a stylish kitchen. The handmade Armenian turka speaks of cultural grandeur. A beautiful biblical mount is engraved on this. Smooth on the inside, this comes with a heat-resistant wooden handle which helps you transfer the contents with ease.
- High quality copper Coffee pot (100% food...
- If you want to cook the best and delicious...
- On the Coffee engraved ARARAT Biblical mount....
What we liked
- Impressive on design and detail
- Sturdy turka
- Easy to pour with long wooden handle
6. 16-Piece Turkish Greek Arabic Serving Set
A fine and dainty spread before the eyes of your guests! This engraved copper set is high on aesthetics and durability. It’s lined with a food-safe tin making it long-lasting and simple to clean. Along with the pot, it houses 2 Porcelain Cups with Saucers, Cup Holders & Lids and 1 Engraved Serving Tray. Don’t forget to brew the premium Mehmet coffee roast within, for your guests.
- Turkish Greek Coffee Engraved Full Set. Made...
- 1 CopperBull 2mm Thick Hand Stamped Copper...
- 2 Porcelain Cups with Saucers, Cup Holders &...
What we liked
- Engraved in copper
- Durable tin lining
- Great array of saucers, cup holders, dainty lids for the price
7. MisterCopper Thickest Hammered Solid Copper Turkish Pot
This dainty Turkish coffee pot would be a great pick for any true coffee lover who drinks in portions throughout the day. A nice coppery shine on the outside packages this pot. It holds the traditional look & feel, with a tin finish on the inside. The wooden handle ensures ease of grip. It is pretty cute and small, and it can serve up to 3 cups of Turkish coffee at once. As it is a small pot, you need not fill it with water up to the brim as the foam can leak out.
- 1,5 mm Thick Hammered Copper. Hand Made in...
- You can be assured these will last for many...
- Capacity: 11 Oz (Makes 3-4 demitasse cups of...
What we liked
- Decent capacity ( serves upto 3 cups at once) for most nuclear families
- Ease of storage
- Gripping wooden handle
8. CopperBull Turkish Greek Hammered Copper Ibrik
With its unique antiqued copper design, this pot revives traditionalism. The handle is quite striking and sleek in its standing. Maneuvring the handle is quite easy and smooth. Housing great copper thickness, it is tin lined for durability and safety. 2-3 cups can be prepared at one shot. Seeing its high-end aesthetics, it’s surprising that it is so easy to clean and maintain.
- 2mm Thick Hammered Copper Coffee Pot.
- Heavy Gauge. Copper Thickness : 2mm,...
- Tin Lined for Safety & Durability & Ease of...
What we liked
- Traditional antique looking design
- Commendable copper thickness
- Easy to clean and sturdy
9. Arzum Okka Automatic Turkish/Greek Coffee Maker
This is a great option for the ones on the speedy-go every morning. A few push-buttons give you a fully automatic yet traditional experience. The machine automatically brews your divine drink and it pours it automatically into your cup. There is an option to opt for slow brewing in case you want a stronger drink to fuel your day. This machine doesn’t take upon any of your thinking time: the ‘auto boiling temperature detection’ system adjusts the brewing temperature basis of your location.
This machine makes up to 2 cups at a time. Get set, push and off you go to work!
- Automatic Turkish/Greek Coffee machine
- Automatically brews and pours coffee directly...
- Self-cleaning function
What we liked
- Wise pick for the ones in rush every morning
- Automated brewing, pouring
- Adjustment-oriented variables such as brewing speed and temperature
10. Arzum Okka Minio Automatic Turkish/Greek Coffee Maker
Here is another pick for the ones who are short on time and need a quick fix each morning. Once the correct amount of water and coffee are put inside the brewing pot, place the into the Okka Minio. As you push the start button, the brewing detection sensor starts monitoring the brewing process. It has a smart prevention system to avert overflows. It serves up to 34 cups at once. It’s small and easy to clean. The design is pretty sleek. It does look quite elegant yet bold on the counter!
- 1-4 cups capacity
- Smart overflow prevention system
- Washable pot
What we liked
- Great support for the ones with a huge to-do list
- Automated monitoring systems
- Sleek style on the counter
Characteristics of A Great Turkish Pot
1. Thick construction with wide base and narrow top
Thick indicates rich coffee. If the copper sheet is thick, it will end up delivering an ideal amount of heat conductivity.
Another significant element in construction is the handle. Make sure this isn’t sloppy. A good handle ensures durability and can be made out of copper, brass, or wood. There are tailor-made cezves for left-handed people too.
3. Copper/Brass Material
A Turkish-pot is an investment. Their durability is a clear sign of how a legacy of culture is taken forward. Most long lasting Turkish pots are made of copper.
For those of you living in larger family setups, or who love hosting coffee get-togethers, don’t miss out on ‘pot capacity’ while making your purchase. It is sensible to keep in mind how many cups of coffee can you make (and read fortunes) at once. Somewhere between 20-22 ounces helps achieve more cups in one preparation.
Purchasing your mystic Turkish pot must be an experience that comes through research (and reading articles like these). It’s wise to check the warranty period which only indicates the reliability offered by the manufacturer.
- What is a Turkish coffee pot called?
It’s called an cezve or Ibrik.
- Are Copper pots safe?
Copper holds defined material properties while being a great heat conductor. The heat dispenses evenly. As long as it’s not corroded, copper pots minimize scorching risk and also help in saving considerable energy.
- Can I Make Turkish coffee in a regular pot?
While freewill prevails, you can go ahead and make it. You will need to ensure the heat temperature maintained is accurate to get the best out of the grounds. However, I’ve sensed a difference in taste when I’ve drunk Turkish coffee made with/without an Ibrik. The special pot with its wide bottom, neck narrowing, and widening at the top does help achieve finesse and divinity for coffee lovers like me.
- Can you put milk in Turkish coffee?
Again, no one is stopping you. However, in the traditional preparation, milk isn’t used.
- How to wash a Turkish pot?
Ideally, it’s best to wash it manually rather than placing it in the dishwater. Frequent machinery washes can cause corrosion. These pots require a human touch more than machinery touch! Using a mild detergent and rinsing it in warm water is the best way to keep it clean.
While it may be a while before you will be able to travel to the lands of Istanbul, you can still own the perfect pot and sip this heavenly drink of the Sultans now. Stay aware of exactly when to take the pot off the heat source, and bring the same taste right into your kitchen.
Enjoy your enchanting brew!