So Peaberry, one of those things that you only get to know once you really get into the coffee world. There’s a whole fan base for this different kind of coffee but most who are no aware even don’t know what is Peaberry Coffee, and we are here to teach you this.
This article will explain everything you need to know about the Peaberry coffee beans and their special properties that it brings to the table.
What Is Peaberry Coffee And Why So Special
What is so great or special about Peaberry coffee? Well, there are a few things that we have to mention, and the first one is the origin of this unique kind of bean. That is part of the fun because this bean is not something that can be simply mass-produced, which is part of the reason why is so loved and valuable.
After that, we have to get to the roasting point, which is actually slightly different than regular coffee, which in turn, gives it a different taste.
But enough of these spoilers, let’s move on to the actual information and get to know the Peaberry coffee bean in-depth.
The first step of the Peaberry coffee bean is well, selection, and this is why it’s so hard to come by. In a cherry (the coffee plant’s fruit) you usually find two coffee beans that share the middle of the fruit, that’s why you can find one flat face on each bean because they are facing each other. However, the Peaberry is a rare event that happens when only one of the seeds is fertilized, therefore it grows by itself, without anything to flatten its side. That’s how a Peaberry is born!
Now, this is a rare occurrence, it happens with around 5% of all coffee beans harvested, making it quite a limited and unique product that has to be treated as such. The more circular shape brings the name Pea(berry) to the table, while regular beans can be called Flat(berry) to differentiate when talking about this product.
So yeah, only 5% of the coffee beans are Peaberry, and obviously, you only get 1 Peaberry for every 2 regular beans that you could get, so yeah, the production is quite limited. That’s why you are expected to pay a premium for this product. And we are talking around 3 to 5 times the price of a regular coffee bag, depending on the quality.
Another important aspect of the Peaberry euphoria is well, the roasting. These roast in a completely different manner than regular flat beans, which means they have to be separated even further and the roast is “exclusive“.
Many people say that Peaberry beans are roasted “better” than flat beans because the shape helps them roast more evenly. After all, it can “roll” better in the roasting chamber.
Also, some people claim that the density of the bean helps with heat transfer, therefore achieving a better roast and better taste afterward.
On the other side, some people claim that the taste is changed because of the sorting and special handling these beans receive.
Moving on to perhaps the most controversial part of the article, the taste of Peaberry coffee. In regular coffee, the taste is greatly influenced by a lot of factors, not only roasting. We talk about, well, anything that can affect the plant. This includes origin, region, weather, bean type, freshness, among many others. But in my experience and everyone that really knows their coffee, what can really be a game-changer is the brew method. It doesn’t matter if you have the best coffee in the world if you don’t know how to brew it, you are probably gonna ruin it, or at least not have the result you were looking for.
Peaberry is, in my opinion, something that only coffee “experts” should try. Why you may ask, well, for someone new, the chances of actually brewing the coffee properly and then being able to differentiate between a regular flat bean and a Peaberry bean from the same batch is gonna be… hard.
The safest bet is that you already have a particular favorite, a bean that really makes your days. Then you can try to find a Peaberry variation to really experience a difference, and after that, you will be able to judge.
Why Is Peaberry Coffee So Expensive
Peaberry Coffee is several times more expensive than a regular flat bean, and as we stated above, it’s because of the special treatment it receives and because of how rare it is. With only 5% of the total yield being Peaberry, that already makes it a rare product. Then you can add other “extras”.
For example, the handling and selection, that extra step is already gonna cost quite a bit. Then you can add roasting… which means more expenses, which at the same time translates into a price increase.
All this really influence the price, as well as the Peaberry coffee being treated as a “premium” product. So, therefore, we can recommend that you try the flat and the pea variant of the same batch. That’s the only real way of knowing if what you like is the actual different flavor from the Peaberry or just the taste of that kind of coffee.
Is Peaberry Coffee Better than Usual
Now for the final question! Is Peaberry coffee actually better than regular coffee? Well… we always say that the best coffee is the one you like the most, so if you try a Peaberry and completely fall in love with it, go ahead, say it’s better. However, we completely suggest that you try the non-pea version of that same batch and see if you like it the same, as it can save you quite a bit of cash.
So all we can say is that Peaberry will offer a different flavor but only those that really know their coffee will be able to tell the difference, so we suggest that you try as many coffees as you can before venturing forth. Once you are ready to try Peaberry, buy the flat version of the same batch, brand, or at least as similar as possible. Try both, and then be the judge yourself.
Best Peaberry Coffee – Our Top Picks
So, here are somethings that you can pick if you are buying the Peaberry for the very first time. We have scoured through the web for a long to pick the best selection.
1. Costa Rica Peaberry Coffee
- 100% Pure Costa Rican Peaberry that provides balance and intensity of flavor of fruit and citrus...
- Single Origin from La Isabela Estate located in the Tres Rios that is shade grown and rain forest...
- Medium roasted whole bean coffee allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a...
- Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed
Our first pick on the list is Costa Rica which is a single-origin coffee from La Isa Bela Estate at Tres Rios. It’s a medium roasted coffee to give balanced flavors and has a fruity flavor with sweet and bright citrus notes. Moreover, it’s a Rainforest certified product to ensure the earth’s protectiveness.
2. Tanzanian Peaberry Coffee by Fresh Roasted Coffee
- WITH A SMOOTH AND FULL BODY, TANZANIAN PEABERRY Is A Rare Coffee Varietal With Notes Of Lemon,...
- SINGLE-ORIGIN FROM MBEYA REGION, TANZANIA. Bourbon Varietal. Light Roast. Farm Washed Processed &...
- ALL FRESH ROASTED COFFEE IS Kosher Certified, Sustainably Sourced and Proudly Roasted, Blended, and...
- ALL OUR COFFEES ARE ROASTED in Our Environmentally Friendly Loring Roaster to Reduce Our Carbon...
- AVAILABLE IN WHOLE BEAN AS 12 OZ, 2 LB, and 5 LB Bags.
Tanzania has been a great source for quality coffee and it’s also known for fantastic Peaberry. It’s also a single-origin coffee that is a mild body and light roast. It makes a full-body cup with notes of Lemon, peach, and black tea. These beans are grown on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro in Moshi.
3. Kauai Peaberry Coffee
- 100% PREMIUM ARABICA – Kauai peaberry whole bean coffee is a 100% Arabica coffee with a smooth,...
- UNIQUE FLAVOR – Our peaberry whole bean coffee delivers the flavor of Peaberry, a single seed...
- WHOLE COFFEE BEANS – Grinding your own coffee provides a delicious, stronger flavor. Our dark...
- ECO-FRIENDLY – From growing the coffee to roasting and packaging, we employ sustainable,...
- HAWAII’S LARGEST COFFEE GROWER – Kauai Coffee is Hawaii’s largest coffee grower. We have just...
The next on our list is by Kauai. They are known as Hawaii’s largest coffee bean growers having to work with a huge variety of beans. The beans have a light aroma and a bright flavor profile. These are dark roast for hard coffee lovers.
4. Peaberry Coffee Beans by RhoadsRoast Coffees
- Comes from the Mondul Estate in Northern Tanzania, Africa, this coffee offers floral jasmine aroma,...
- Fresh Roasted Each Morning & Shipped in the Afternoon! Heavier at a darker roast level. Overall...
- The prized peaberry grade assures that you are getting ready to enjoy a coffee bean of high...
- This gourmet African coffee displays many of the characteristics of Kenyan coffee, though much...
- Location: Mount Meru, Arumeru District, Arusha Region, Northern Tanzania Altitude: 4,410 Feet, 1,334...
The name might sound a little typical, but the coffee from this label is worth tasting. The beans come from Mondul Estate in Northern Tanzania, Africa. The coffee has a great aroma with a wine-like taste. It has a medium-bodied flavor with hints of black current and a finish of chocolate.
5. Papua Peaberry Coffee
- Rainforest Alliance Certified
- 100% Arabica Beans
- Freshness guaranteed
Again it’s a Rainforest Alliance certified coffee that takes care of good practices to keep nature intact. These are Kosher certified too and have no side effects like jitteriness or acid reflux. So people who are sensitive to these can pick Papua. The coffee is organically grown without the use of any harmful chemicals.
We hope that you have got the information you were seeking for. The above content was to tell you in brief about Peaberry coffee that a common coffee drinker should know and care about.