National Coffee Day is Friday, September 29th and we want to help you get your buzz on with a free bag of coffee and a fun method of brewing if you do (or don’t) have a coffee maker handy!
If you’re traveling or have serious wanderlust like we do, this method only requires you to gather a filter, string, pot, and measuring cup to get the job done!
Here’s how to start brewing:
- Place your desired amount of coffee onto the filter. It should be about 2 1/2 tablespoons for one cup.
- Wrap the ends of the filter and tie them together so there are no openings and the coffee can’t spill out.
- Bring water in a pot to a boil
- Dip the bag of coffee in enough water to soak the grounds for 30 seconds
- Pour the remaining amount of water into the cup and let it steep for approximately four minutes, or longer if you want a higher caffeine content.
- Throw away your bag and enjoy your coffee!
Next, we’re going to give you tips to make your coffee better from an auto-drip coffee maker!
- Use Fresh High Quality Coffee Beans
For maximum flavor, buy your favorite coffee as whole beans. A medium roast is recommended to start, but it’s largely based on your preferences. On the Atlas Coffee Club website, you will find an option to select whole beans!
- Hand Grind Your Coffee
There is a noticeable difference in taste when the beans were ground a few minutes ago versus coffee that has been ground for a week (or even overnight).
- Use Filtered Water
Water is an often overlooked but important part of the coffee making process. Try using higher quality filtered water if you’re using tap water for your coffee. You should generally use ~ 1-2 Tbl. ground coffee per every 6 oz of water.
- Take Coffee Pot Away From Heat Source
Coffee that’s already brewed left to sit on the burner just turns into burnt coffee. Save your second (or third) cup by taking it away from the heat!
- Clean Coffee Maker Regularly
If you make coffee on the daily, a deep clean should really be done weekly. This will help avoid the aftertaste of old coffee (which is most likely affecting the overall quality of your much needed caffeination).
If you’re ready to try your hand at making coffee with or without a machine, head on over to the Atlas Coffee Club website to get your free bag of coffee using the code AtlasCoffeeDay17. Happy brewing!