Your coffee grinder can make a huge difference in the quality of your coffee brew or espresso. Nothing beats the taste of coffee made from freshly ground beans, however, if the grounds are uneven, too fine, or too coarse, your coffee or espresso will be ruined! That is why it is important to select a good coffee grinder for home use. The Krups F20342 Coffee Grinder promises to consistently deliver the perfect grounds whenever you use it. Naturally, we won’t just take their word for it, so we tested this model for efficiency and consistency, and here are our results.
- Twin stainless steel blades
- 75 grams capacity
- Stainless steel interior
- Single speed system
- Dimensions: 10 x 10.5 x 21 centimeters
- 2-year KRUPS International limited warranty
- It is quite inexpensive at only around US$18 per unit.
- The design is sleek and attractive with black housing and stainless steel accents.
- The oval shape is ergonomic, so it is easy to hold and maneuver.
- The single touch operation is easy to use. Efficiently mill your beans with just the touch of a button.
- It can produce varying ground sizes, ranging from coarse to very fine, depending on how long you let it mill.
- The large 75 grams bin capacity yields up to 15 cups at a time, so you will have more than enough coffee grounds for a large party.
- This model is equipped with a lid-activated safety switch. It does not start operating until the lid is locked.
- It is quite versatile, and may be used to grind your dry spices as well.
- While operating, this grinder emits an awful smell of burning electrics; you’d think the grinder was about to catch fire.
- This grinder was very loud. Though grinders aren’t usually known for being quiet while in use, this one was exceptionally loud, more than the usual. We noticed that it wasn’t the motor that made the offensive noise, but the sound of the blades coming into contact with the beans.
- It is difficult to empty the bin and can prove messy. You will have to manually dig out the grounds with a small spoon or brush, as they are never completely removed when you simply invert the grinder.
- This grinder does not have pre-set grind textures, so you will have to “eyeball” the texture you need by judging how long to let it grind. This can be frustrating as you are estimating the grind, rather than getting the definitive grind texture that you desire.
- If you need super-fine grounds for making espresso, this grinder will disappoint you. Though it advertises itself as “perfect for espresso” the finest grounds it produces is not ideal for making espresso. They are not fine enough to pull a decent shot.
If you are using your grinder to make grounds for brewing coffee then the Krups F20342 Coffee Grinder is a decent choice. It will give you fairly even grounds that will make wonderful coffee. However, if you need a grinder to use with your espresso machine, we would not recommend this unit. Your best bet is to spend a little more and invest in a good conical burr grinder that will consistently deliver super-fine, powder-like grounds, which are best for making espresso. We have a list of Top 5 Grinders to choose from, have a look on them too.
Before even trying out this model, we were skeptical about the quality of the Krups F20342 Coffee Grinder, solely because it is a steel blade grinder and not our preferred kind, the conical burr grinder. Steel blade grinders are very unpredictable; they can be inconsistent, the blades often go bad and they never seem to grind the coffee fine enough for espresso. This is why we almost always recommend a conical burr grinder, over any steel blade grinder for a home barista. This model did prove to be a pleasant surprise as it delivered even grounds as promised. Though the finest texture it produces is not fine enough to our liking, it is still impressive for a steel blade grinder.
We were also impressed by the versatility of this model, since it can also be used for grinding dried spices for your recipes.
We give the Krups F20342 Coffee Grinder a respectable 3.5 out of 5 stars. For such a low-priced model, it was quite efficient, however we could not ignore its deficiencies in terms of the burning smell, and inability to deliver super-fine coffee grounds.
Will you be buying the Krups F20342 Coffee Grinder, or do you have another model in mind? If you do get this model, be sure to share your experience with us in the comments section. We would love to hear from you!
See larger image