Hamilton Beach is a well-known manufacturer of kitchen appliances, though not traditionally known as a maker of espresso machines. So when we got wind that Hamilton Beach was venturing into the espresso coffee machine business with their Hamilton Beach Espresso Maker 40715, we figured we’d give it a try to see if their espresso maker is of the same high quality as their other kitchen appliances.
Naturally, we had high expectations for this unit, considering Hamilton Beach’s Coffee Makers a good reputation in the kitchen appliances market. After all, if they make good appliances, then we expect that they will provide an excellent espresso maker too! Here’s what we discovered about the Hamilton Beach Espresso Maker 40714.
• 15 bar Italian pump
• Works with both espresso pods, and coffee grounds
• Milk frother included
• Easy push-button operation
• Removable water reservoir
• Dimensions: 13.2 x 10.2 x 13.5 inches
• Weight: 8 pounds
• Price is very attractive at only about $70 depending on the vendor.
• Will deliver decent espresso with some crema at times.
• Some removable parts can be cleaned with plain water or soapy water where needed.
• Double drip function allows you to make 2 cups of espresso at the same time.
• It can accommodate larger cup sizes if you remove the drip tray. Allows for up to a 16-ounce cup.
• It is a reasonable size and will not take up too much space on your counter.
• Despite the 15-bar pump, it does not always produce enough pressure to pull a proper shot of espresso. Sometimes it delivers, sometimes it doesn’t. This is quite unreliable. The pump seems to struggle to pull the water through.
• The espresso from this machine is not very strong. We suspect that the hot water that runs into the grounds passes through too quickly to deliver a proper pull of espresso.
• It will not consistently produce crema in your espresso shot. This inconsistency is very frustrating if you like thick crema with your espresso.
• The make is plastic and flimsy. It does not seem to be a long-lasting unit.
• It does not make the espresso very hot. If you like piping hot coffee this machine will disappoint you.
• This machine takes too long to heat the water to make a shot of espresso.
• The milk frother will make bubbles but it will not deliver true microfoam for making cappuccinos or lattes. The steamer also takes a long while to simply warm the milk.
• The steam nozzle is positioned too close to the base, so steaming milk might prove to be awkward to maneuver.
• It plugs frequently, and is difficult to clean the relevant areas when plugged.
• This machine can prove to be quite messy. It leaks from many different orifices at times, and drips for a long while after it has finished making the espresso.
• The water reservoir has a strong plastic smell. If you leave water in the reservoir overnight and use the same water the next day to make your espresso, that plastic smell will become an awful plastic taste in your espresso.
We really struggled to find something good to say about this machine. As you can see, there are way more “cons” than “pros” about the Hamilton Beach Espresso Maker 40715!
The machine does not consistently operate as advertised and turned out to be a big disappointment. We were truly hoping that given the good reputation of the Hamilton Beach brand, that this espresso maker will be of the same high quality of their other kitchen appliances, but boy were we wrong!
Ultimately, this unit is living proof that manufacturers should stick to their core business and not venture into certain niches if they aren’t prepared to invest proper technical knowledge into making a product that will work as promised and please the customer.
This unit is generally quite unreliable and we are not impressed. We would not recommend it at all, unless you feel like wasting US$70 on a sub-par unit espresso maker.
If you choose to go ahead and buy this machine despite our recommendation against it, you can’t say we didn’t warn you. Do not have high expectations.
We rate it a paltry 3 out of 5 stars. We gave it 3 stars because it will give a decent shot sometimes, maybe only the first couple times you use it, and after that it might go a bit slow. If we see the pricing part, it’s decently priced around $70 and that’s a good choice for the beginners.
Do consider looking for options at our another post were we’ve listed Best 5 Espresso Makers and also another marvel Hamilton Beach 46201.
If you are already an owner of this espresso maker, please share your experience with this unit, and tell us how it performed for you. Maybe you had a better experience, or maybe you didn’t. Either way, we’d love to hear from you. Please sound off in the comments section.
See larger image